Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Media Separator Makes Mess

.. brass is loud when you're doing it right.

I do start slow then speed up and afterwards spread the brass on a clean towel and wipe excess dust off.

I generally try to do it early in the morning to alert the neighbors. :devil:

+1

That really irritated me, plus I don't want the dust in the air as my lead level is elevated already. I use one of the RCBS enclosed units. No media spilled, let it set for a minute and no dust, it works great. The downside is it takes two loads to get it all from the big ass Dillon tumbler and there is just enough room for the media. I gave the big Dillon separator to a buddy, couldn't take the mess or the dust.

My enclosed media separator came from Cabelas, $24.00.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

No problem with dust here...using the PETCO lizard litter (ground walnut) and a cap of NU-FINISH.

Tumble for 2 hrs until it sparkles => into separator => wiggle it a little to let most of the media fall then about 20 seconds left and 20 seconds right...done.

~Mike

Edited by Rufftytuffty

Slight Drift

Do you use a timer on the tumbler?

I had a outdoor timer sitting around not being used. It was like $10 at Menards.(Home-Depo, Lowes)

It has little clips around the face to set the on and off cycle. I took of the clip for the on cycle. Set it for however long hyou want to tumble for, and turn it on.

Works great, I don't have to be around to shut it off!!

Edited by Skizeks

Yes I do... set to 2-3hrs and walk away...

I just did about 10,000rds of 9mm and 6,000 of 5.56

glad I had the large dillon tumbler for that job

Slight Drift

Do you use a timer on the tumbler?

I had a outdoor timer sitting around not being used. It was like $10 at Menards.(Home-Depo, Lowes)

It has little clips around the face to set the on and off cycle. I took of the clip for the on cycle. Set it for however long hyou want to tumble for, and turn it on.

Works great, I don't have to be around to shut it off!!

Edited by nad1967

• 1 year later...

I just ordered a second tub for the CM-500 and it was 19.95. On a side note, I can't believe I called there 800 number and an actual person answered the phone. I love Dillon.

Edited by Rob D

i add 4-5 used dryer sheets to the media separator before i tumble the brass, this helps remove the dust from the casings as the media is being separated, also a few tablespoons of mineral spirits in your media before tumbling goes a long way in reducing dust.