Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor NRA Action Pistol

KMacari

During the winter here in NY (which lasts about 6 months), I run an indoor NRA Action Pistol league in Oneida, NY. This year I was hoping to run an 'Approved' indoor match, using both the NRA AP-D1 targets and the reduced size D2 targets to simulate the various distances beyond 15 yards. I have not been able to find anything in the NRA AP rule book on target placement of the D2 targets...would anyone know if the targets have to be placed at the same height as the D1 targets, or is there a different height (and maybe distance between targets) for the reduced size D2 targets??

Ken

Not the least bit official....

Set the center of the X-ring the same height as standard targets. If D2 is 1/2 width of D1, then make the lateral spacing 1/2 of standard. This will preserve the target-to-target transitional angle at the the reduced distance and the reduced target occupies the same angle in your field of view. The D2 target at 12.5 yards then simulates a D1 at 25 yards, following the 1/2 scale throughout this example.

At the indoor matches in Rawlins, WY they set the D2 X ring at the same height as normal except if you tell them your going to go prone. I don't what height it is then but they do it to avoid shooting holes in the ceiling.

Set the bottom of the scaled down target to the same height as the bottom of the full size target and you are good to go (by the Law of Sines).

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Glen Allen VA

Jim,

We have missed you on the AP circuit. Here anything from Jason Koon? Regarding your comment above, if one does as you suggest wouldn't they be shooting into the floor of the indoor range at the closer distances in standing positions?

Ken,

FYI National Target in Rockville, MD carries the new AP-2 paper targets too. These have the black center like the AP-1's yet are the size of the D-2.

Martin

GM,

Not a daft question at all! Doug practices on 4" plates standing at 35 yds!

Ken,

I'd go with having the centers at the same height as standard AP-1s so as to not change the angle of fire. If my math is correct, that would be 58" from the floor to the top of the 2" X-ring on the AP-2 assuming a half-size target in all respects compared to the AP-1. Thanks for keeping the sport going up there in the snow!!

Alan~^~

OOOpppps! Just checked the rule book and they're not 1/2 size! So the exact measurement to the top of the X-ring would be 57.56 inches. Not enough to quibble over but still in the name of accuracy...................since they're only 28% the size of the big ones.

Alan~^~

Set the bottom of the scaled down target to the same height as the bottom of the full size target and you are good to go (by the Law of Sines).

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Glen Allen VA

Jim,

We have missed you on the AP circuit. Here anything from Jason Koon? Regarding your comment above, if one does as you suggest wouldn't they be shooting into the floor of the indoor range at the closer distances in standing positions?

Ken,

FYI National Target in Rockville, MD carries the new AP-2 paper targets too. These have the black center like the AP-1's yet are the size of the D-2.

Martin

Martin

I have missed shooting AP for the last year, and almost everything else too. I am planning to get back into it this year if I can get my bad back fixed. Talked with Jason the other day and he is still full of piss and vinegar. I expect to see him back shooting AP this year.

As far as target heights are concerned, it depends on whether you are shooting prone or standing. If prone then the target is lowered, and if standing the target is raised. My assumption was prone (at 50 yds simulated) and therefore the center would be lowered. A good rule of thumb would be to align the tops if standing and the bottoms if prone. Also, I assumed targets would be placed near the backstop to maximize space available.

I am working on a scaled (1/3) plate rack set for using indoors or outdoors with my airsoft pistol. Will shoot at 10, 15, 20, 25 feet. Who knows, it might even be fun?

Best regards and Happy New Year!!!!!!

Jim Taylor

Glen Allen VA

Daft question.

Using the D2 / AP2 at 50yards would make life a little interesting for practice would it not?

Not wanting to hijack the thread.

:surprise: I was hoping they would have a AP-1/2 or AP 1/4. Double size or Quadruple size not a reduction! I've practicing on the broad side of a barn door with pretty good success at 10 ft. :roflol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

MJ

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Glen Allen VA

Jim,

Ken,

Martin

Martin

I have missed shooting AP for the last year, and almost everything else too. I am planning to get back into it this year if I can get my bad back fixed. Talked with Jason the other day and he is still full of piss and vinegar. I expect to see him back shooting AP this year.

As far as target heights are concerned, it depends on whether you are shooting prone or standing. If prone then the target is lowered, and if standing the target is raised. My assumption was prone (at 50 yds simulated) and therefore the center would be lowered. A good rule of thumb would be to align the tops if standing and the bottoms if prone. Also, I assumed targets would be placed near the backstop to maximize space available.

I am working on a scaled (1/3) plate rack set for using indoors or outdoors with my airsoft pistol. Will shoot at 10, 15, 20, 25 feet. Who knows, it might even be fun?

Best regards and Happy New Year!!!!!!

Jim Taylor

Glen Allen VA

Jim,

Piss and Vinegar or not, Jason is a helluva shooter. Hope your back gets better and roger that on the prone.

MJ

Ken,

Several things here.

I believe that the most recent Rule Book which may not be out yet, does correct the the D-2 to the AP-2. I recall that when the change was made from D-1 to AP-1, the editors did not reflect the parallel change from D-2 to AP-2. Perhaps, there was no AP-2 vendor at first, and that is why there was a delay.

The NRA also needs to address the following:

INDOOR shooting reduced distances, and utlizing the reduction target D-2 or AP-2

INDOOR shooting AP-1 targets at normal match distances.

OUTDOOR shooting reduced distances and utlizing the reduction target D-2 or AP-2

I am not suggesting there needs to be all three above, but they need to address it. In other words either permit or not but address it.

You might check with Tom K. If the NRA had anything written, Tom would have had a copy and likely still does. My guess is that the NRA staff at the time never really thought it through or never put it to paper.

MJ