Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Places to Shoot Near Richmond VA

I'll be relocating to the Richmond area in the next week and will likely settle in the Chesterfield/Midlothian area. I know that I can stop and see Uncle Tino in Fredericksburg for matches but my real question is around practice. What decent clubs and ranges exist in the above areas that I can shoot?

My time will be limited by travel but my wife won't be with me for a good year, due to professional obligations and I'm already going through dot withdrawal. However, if I can't get some real shooting in close by, I'll suffer through the tremors and deal with it.

Why will this lead to my divorce? Well, I liquidated most of my shooting gear to buy my dream car and sold it to my wife as a 'we'd have more time together' purchase. Once I start shooting again, I'm a dead man. But, if she doesn't know, is it really so bad?

Thankfully, I don't think any of you know how to get in touch with her so please keep it that way.

Not much USPSA in the area other than Fredericksburgh. There are TSA matches last year they were on the Saturday before the Fred's match. Some IDPA but I dont shoot. As to practice you could come over my place everynow and then on a Saturday or after work. Maybe if someone was coming over on a scheduled day I'd get off my butt and practice more. I dont have a big area but I do have 25 yards a small burm some target stands, falling steel and neighbors I dont like. You can do anything but break the 180. Unlike most ranges in the area.

REAL outdoor practice is tough. Black Creek is an outdoor range, but the owner does not allow rapid fire or any movement. Private land is all about who ya know.

We shoot a monday nite match at Dominion Shooting Range in Richmond. Its IDPA lite... but keeps the skills up. I shoot F-burg on season and Sir Walter (about 120 miles from Chester, straight down 85) year round. There's a match in Roanoke, one in Lebanon Church and one in Blackwater, but all three are serious hauls for the shooting.

As for practice... you'll need to contact me directly. I have an indoor, private solution that I might be able to work you in to.

Seth@offroadmarketing.com from any address other than gmail or aol (they get filtered).

I live in southern chesterfield, near chester. Get in touch.

Seth (BTW.... I'm shooting SWGC on Saturday.... if you're ready)

Edited by Sethmark

Hmm...doesn't sound like a place conducive to me getting back into open unless I make friends with someone who has some land I can put some lead into.

That's the only way I'm getting back into the game with anything other than a half heart; I have to be able to practice effectively somewhere close by. Otherwise, I'll stick with SS and shoot when I can.

Seth, thanks for the invite for Saturday, but I won't be in town until next week. I'll send you a note so we can hook up once I'm in town.

Any good ranges for long distance rifle in the area? I could easily be convinced to give that a try as well, except a good sized rifle won't fit in my car. I think I'm the only person to walk into Lexus of Towson and wonder aloud if my sniper rifle would fit in the trunk.

Cavalier Rifle and Pistol is what you are looking for, Montpelier just north of Richmond. HP Long range to 600 yards has been closed for upgrades should re-open Feb 09. 100 Yd HP range is always open. Also dedicated 100 yard small bore range. Bullseye Pistol, Pratical Pistol, and Cowboy action ranges. Sporting clays too, Feb 3 new bays for IDPA matches will open as part of the re-work. Old IDPA bays will stay open for practice. Membership numbers are limited by County rules but always some openings after Jan 1 when dues need to be paid. Nobody shoots steel pistol matches but that's a function of intrest club will run any match members want. IDPA is real popular.

Thing to do is show up for a match, they are open to all, and get info from a member. Web site is not real current but you can get the idea CAVRP.ORG Or you could send me a private message

Boats