Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor 38 Super Or Rimless?

instructor

I just got my order for a case of Armscor 38 super rimless from Brassman. When I opened the box, I compared the new brass with some fired ones.

The new brass is headstamped "AP 38 Super". My used brass is stamped "AP 02 38 Super". The new brass' rims just barely touch each other when they are held side by side. I think I was sent the wrong brass by mistake. The rims on my used brass do not touch each other in side by side comparison. Do the rimless cases have the "02" marks on them?

If i recall correctly from talking with others the AP 38 super and the 38 super rimless have the same head stamp. the only difference is that you will have a lable on the box that says rimless. I have a few pieces of rimless that has the 02 mark on it. perhaps that is the year it was manufactured. The head stamp diameter is 0.385 Regular super runs about 0.403

Here is how I keep the rimmed 38 super from getting mixed in:

I use the shellplate on my 550 that is designated for 223 or 380. It fit both Armscorp & Starline rimless but will reject all rimmed brass. This way, you do not have to sort the brass by headstamp.

Yeah, I re-confirmed it with the Armscor guys at the Steel Challenge-- there is NO difference in headstamp between the "AP 02 38 Super" rimmed and rimless brass. They're working to get that fixed soon..

In the mean time, you can use a shellplate that won't take it, or just try and push the head-end of each questionable piece into some empty .40 S&W brass-- rimless will drop in, rimmed won't.

Thanks for the help, guys. I mic'd them, and they are in fact rimless diameter. The weirdest thing is, before loading the virgin brass, the rims click against each other, but after loading and firing, they no longer click. Figure that one out! The only thing I can think of is the case bodies swell up past the rim diameter, and no longer allow them to touch. I am using a Square Deal, and use a 9mm shell plate. The Super plate was too sloppy. I will try the 40 case idea, though.

The weirdest thing is, before loading the virgin brass, the rims click against each other, but after loading and firing, they no longer click. Figure that one out! The only thing I can think of is the case bodies swell up past the rim diameter, and no longer allow them to touch.

That would be my guess as well.