Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is is okay to shoot major 9 out of a small frame EAA?

get2now

I have an open division small frame 90's era EAA and was thinking that instead of shooting minor I'd try some of that Winchester Ranger +P+. I've read that the Winchester will make major in several different guns.

In the 90's I used to shoot 9 x 21 but eventually the frame cracked because it just got beat up so bad.

Of course that was the old 175 major so naturally it was loaded to 180 PF.

Anybody have any experience with major 9 in this gun?

Thanks,

Gary

I have an open division small frame 90's era EAA and was thinking that instead of shooting minor I'd try some of that Winchester Ranger +P+. I've read that the Winchester will make major in several different guns.

In the 90's I used to shoot 9 x 21 but eventually the frame cracked because it just got beat up so bad.

Thanks,

Gary

Major factor NOW is pf165 from 175?? It should be ok. I my self is using a small frame

P9 and has 3000rds and still going at 167pf. 10 POWER FACTOR IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!

Let me know how you do as some shooters are now taking their old school guns out of the safe!

Thanks,

Gary

Can you post a picture Gary?

Thanks,

Gary

I will ..... but don't laugh.....

eaa2xy1.th.jpg eaa1ou3.th.jpg

I shot 9x19 and 9x21 in major (180PF) from '92 - '95. It was a major stress on the gun and when Tanfoglio introduced the large frame 38 super in '95 it was a no brainer to switch. No doubt the small frame 9x19 shot in 180PF was a lot for frame/barrel. With international 160PF requirement 9x19 or 9x21 handloaded is nice setup.

I'm guessing you don't reload. What's the point of shooting open if you can't get the right bullet/powder mix to work the comp and tune the gun to your shooting style?

If I didn't reload, I'd shoot the Atlantic Arms ammo. I think they call it .355 Super (9mm Major). http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/products.html

Actually I do reload but mostly I'm thinking I'd just like to get some major ammo without having to do all the load development.

I already have all my loads developed for the guns I use now but as was said earlier, I'm taking my old school gun out to play with. Not so much because I really miss it though. It's because I'll be using it when I go on vacation and if it's going to get lost by the airlines I'd rather it be a less expensive gun.

I shot it earlier this year and shot minor but major would have really helped me in the long run.

Although if someone has a magic load.... I'm listening...

Gary

Thanks,

Gary

I will ..... but don't laugh.....

eaa2xy1.th.jpg eaa1ou3.th.jpg

When my open gun failed me and now at the factory for repair, I got this old clanker with a lot

of play in it. Nobody knows how many rounds thru?After buying it from a shooter, I found out that it went thru 4 different owners and can not get the gun to run?? The boyz were making fun of the gun when I took it at the range.

I had no choice and so I tuned it , sprayed black paint and put skate board tape on it. POOR MANS OPEN GUN.

NOW, I rank top 5 at my local match club! came in second last week! I'M NOT LAUGHING! its the shooter that WINS not the equipment. But you must make it work and reliable all the time.

Although I will look better with a working Tanfoglio V12!!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Thanks,

Gary

In the mid to late 90's, rumours were abound of shooters breaking the small framed combat length slide gun while

shooting major in Australia. 1997 I asked the Aus Tanfoglio importer for a 9mm major gun & he supplied a Gold Team

with long slide & heavy 3 port comp. The importer recommended avoiding 125gn in 9mm major and suggested

a formula of 135gn projectiles, small rifle primers & enough slow burning powder to just break 175 PF.

Did try many other 9mm major loads but for me nothing felt better than that original formula.

I shot this for many years with no probs. It was really competitive with the 1911-38's of that era.

Brass did not last long and I had to max out the overall length to exactly 29.65mm or 1.167'', any more & they

nose dived in those older mags.

With the new lower PF and your smaller EAA gun, I would be confident shooting major, but if you wanted to

play it safe, maybe try heavier than 125gn projectiles. Anything heavier than 135gn may require pulling back

to a medium or faster burning powder.

115's & 125's at 160pf or more will punish an old smaller gun.

Regards Lee

Edited by Floydian

Thanks,

Gary

In the mid to late 90's, rumours were abound of shooters breaking the small framed combat length slide gun while

shooting major in Australia. 1997 I asked the Aus Tanfoglio importer for a 9mm major gun & he supplied a Gold Team

with long slide & heavy 3 port comp. The importer recommended avoiding 125gn in 9mm major and suggested

a formular of 135gn projectiles, small rifle primers & enough slow burning powder to just break 175 PF.

Did try many other 9mm major loads but for me nothing felt better than that original formular.

I shot this for many years with no probs. It was really competitive with the 1911-38's of that era.

Brass did not last long and I had to max out the overall length to exactly 29.65mm or 1.167'', any more & they

nose dived in those older mags.

With the new lower PF and your smaller EAA gun, I would be confident shooting major, but if you wanted to

play it safe, maybe use heavier than 125gn projectiles and a medium burn powder.

115's & 125's at 165pf or more will punish an old smaller gun.

Regards Lee

+

That's great advice Lee..i'll keep that in mind.

When I built my first open gun it was a P9 with the stock short slide and only shot minor thru it, was recommended to me not to shoot major (then 175) with the little slide and shorter barrell. The second build included an EAA long optics slide (no cuts) longer Storm Lake Machine bbl and 3 port comp. Shot it this way for quite a while, and it slowly evolved to what it is today, I am still using the same frame since 1993. Gary, with that gun of yours, I wouldn't run too light of a bullet, or too light of a spring. You want that short little gun to stay locked up and keep that slide from beating the snot out of itself. Often many people forget about the slide velocity of Tanfoglio guns, so just take a minute to think about this short little one Gary is using, and it is very light to boot. I still have my original P9 slide which is the same. If you were to take a little time and work up a nice load for it, I will bet you will be very happy with the results. Lee mentioned about a slightly heavier bullet and medium burning powder, which is a great idea because I'm telling you a 135gr bullet feels pretty darned good out of these guns, I shot quite a few and really liked them. If there's anything I can do to help you out PM me, and we can discuss further.