Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movie: 7 Pounds

Mark K

My Kids (18 & 22) and I saw Will Smith's 7 Pounds on Christmas day. After 3 days to think about it, I think I like it.

When we saw it, we walked out of the movie, and all the way to the car in silence, and then my 22 year old daugher said "I think I need a drink". We all agreed that we were going to go home and find just the funniest Movie DVDs we had to try and lighten our spirits.

It is an incredibly powerful movie. Maybe more so for us because my wife passed away in 2006, and there were just too many hospital things that hit hard.

Will Smith is just one of the best actors ever. He really sells it. You feel his pain.

If there are not Oscars coming for Will Smith for this movie, there is no justice.

I don't know if it is a movie I can watch anytime soon, but .......

Certainly not a feel good movie, but a though provoking one that is very powerful.

If it does not bring a tear,??????

Mark K

..., the last thing we need is a movie that glorifies suicide.

Um... Can we get the title of this thread edited. I'm pretty sure that's a spoiler. At least it is for me!!! I was thinking Will Smith + film = Good. I will thank you for saving me from seeing this movie.

I think so...It needs to be talked about.

And this movie isn't about a depressed person who simply commits suicide.

It's more complicated than that.

discussed by people in their own homes, or hospital, clinic, therapists office, etc...not the movie theater..What makes it more complicated than a guy who through inattention to his driving kills several people, feels very guilty, gets depressed, decides on a course of exterme action to rectify his prior actions, then commits suicide to complete his plan...regardless of the plot of the movie, suicide is a cowardly act which fails to take into account the feelings of all those who love you or are close to you...simply not worthy of a movie.

..., the last thing we need is a movie that glorifies suicide.

Um... Can we get the title of this thread edited. I'm pretty sure that's a spoiler. At least it is for me!!! I was thinking Will Smith + film = Good. I will thank you for saving me from seeing this movie.

It's not a spoiler. The very first scene of the movie shows Will Smith's character calling in his own suicide to 911. The rest of the movie is essentially a flashback.

That is exactly the problem. Suicide is a taboo topic. Nobody wants to talk about it.

It is this mentality that results in people thinking it's a cowardly act; when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

We've talked about the topic an awful lot around this area over the past couple years, in the wake of several events involving students at the high school my kids attend. In fact, everybody talked so frickin' much about it, glorifying the first kid's "victim" status so intensely, that it spawned several additional incidents that appear to be of a copycat nature.

Nobody wants to be the one to point out that for every suicide victim, there's also a murderer.....who happened to have been the same person.

I'm really starting to think suicide needs to be taboo topic.

.....If it does not bring a tear,??????

If this movie doesn't bring a tear to your eyes, you should probably be removed from society. This was a FANTASTIC movie.

I'm curious how younger (sub-25 y.o.) viewers felt about it. I think you need more experience (and pain) to appreciate this. It was complex, and didn't hold your hand.

• 1 month later...