Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II HC & Henning's Grips

Bianchi

Hi there,

Hopefully you all got your Tanfo parts as per your Xmas wish lists :cheers: .

Thought that this photo would interest a few. It shows my Stock II with an HC frame and Henning's grips in black.

post-16113-1230416771_thumb.jpg

Still not convinced I can replace the mag pads with the original Tanfo aluminum models for IPSC though. Something about not being able to use plus 1 pads, even if they are from the OFM.

Bianchi

please post that info here if you find a good answer on pads.

If it would be possible to use my H-400 pads that would be cool. They are same length as factory so no more capacity etc. I also make a H-350 pad which is thinner. The plastic magbottom is just uncomfortable so if it's possible to put anything else on there I'll make it. I've got a Stock II 9mm (small frame) waiting on me in Norway.. I'm flying there to pick it up in January..

Charile,

I've heard from Tanfoglio that they have started or are starting to ship Stock II to the US. But it sounds like it'll be a large frame. I've begged them to make it small frame since those mags are very reliable in 9mm, whereas the large frame 9mm mags tend to nose dive when you load them up to full cap. For US it's only 10 round division anyway, but if you're going to an IPSC event overseas you'll want to have every bullet you can get in those suckers.

Charile,

I've heard from Tanfoglio that they have started or are starting to ship Stock II to the US. But it sounds like it'll be a large frame. I've begged them to make it small frame since those mags are very reliable in 9mm, whereas the large frame 9mm mags tend to nose dive when you load them up to full cap.

I would appreciate information regarding a confirmed (PD class legal) alternative to these plastic pads. The mags literally fall apart because the pad slides off on contact with a hard floor and the individual parts (and rounds) fly in various directions, which is somewhat disconcerting. I have tried to solve this by drilling and threading a 3mm hole with an Allen screw through the one of the locations that are presumably used for installing a rubber pad. Let's see if this works out.

BTW: Can someone explain why the steel mag plates (above the pad) are rounded upward at the front? When the mag is dropped, they then tend to ride upward when shifting forward, thereby "unlocking" the plastic pad. I was thinking of flattening them as far as possible.

The Tanfo aluminum pads do need modifications. I have had to lower the height to get the mag catch to lock in, otherwise the pad prevents the mag from travelling up far enough. Nevertheless, the ergonomics are far better than the plastic pads since the base is rounde and fits well into the palm of one's hand during a mag change.

Henning, no issues with the reliability of the HC yet, even with shortened followers and one coil less on the mag spring which gets the capacity up to 18 rounds as discussed.

Bianchi

http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?sho...c=3358&st=0

read this posting,.it is 4 pages long. The pads are legal. Use the metal shim inside,..so as not it add capacity. the OEM metal,..plastic and rubber ones.

Thanks for the interesting link. I am not an IPSC lawyer, but my interpretation of this prolonged thread is:

1. OFM pads that increase the mag capacity are not PD legal (mine do, since they are hollowed out :( ) There were (early) versions without the recess for the original Stock, but were discontinued by TF. Vince Pinto approved their use for the World Shoot in Bali.

post-16113-1230671855_thumb.jpg

2. AM pads are legal, provided that they do not exceed the external dimensions of the OFM mags. Here the advantage would be that the shape could be rounded to improve the ergonomics.

In conclusion, the safest bet would either be to manufacture

1. A copy of the plastic pad but from aluminum or stainless. Proper placement of a grub screw (or two as practised by an Argentinian manufacturer) would eliminate the need for the the metal plate.

2. A copy of the pad depicted in the photo. BTW: Apparently Tanfoglio is considering starting up production of these pads for the PD TF community again.

Henning, what do the H-350 pads look like? I can't find them on your website. If the begging for small frame versions of the Stock II doesn't work out, then I would look forward to ordering the correct alternative to these plastic pads for the large frame Stock II from you :rolleyes: .

Regards,

Bianchi