Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PC 627 8x Twist Rate?

lrjet

Who knows the barrel twist rate on the 627. Just bought a new one and setting it up for steel--at Mike C.'s right now. Curious to know what bullet weight would be optimum for accuracy. Know each gun has its own personality and sure I will try all the weights and configs anyway. Thx

Just about all S&W barrels are 1 in 18-3/4. I have been told there are some exceptions, but no details. If you are shooting

25 yards or less, just about anything that doesn't lead the barrel will be ok. 50 yards or more is a different story. In general,

on a slow twist like that, heavier bullets (158 gr.) will probably stabilize better with a slow velocity. 125s will be more accurate

at higher velocities (1000+ fps). In a faster twist barrel like 10 to 12, the light bullets will be accurate at slow velocity.

Just about all S&W barrels are 1 in 18-3/4. I have been told there are some exceptions, but no details.

I got curous and ran a patched cleaning rod thru my (627) barrel. A 1 in 18ish twist looks right. Revolvers have very slow twists considering rifle rounds that go 3000 fps second usually use about a 1 in 14 twist. I know for handgun silhouettes where long range (200 yd) accuracy was really important, faster twists were used. I think we have slow twists more to allow lead (unjacketed) bullets to be used and to engage and follow the rifling instead of "stripping" than it being an accuracy issue.

My custom barrel has a 1 in 10 inch twist. Great for the 160 grain at minor pf but the lighter bullets even at minor pf, not so good. I thought I had heard or read some where, eons ago when I was young... or at least not so old, that the twist rates were 1 in 12 and 1 in 14, but never trust my memory. later rdd

My custom barrel has a 1 in 10 inch twist. Great for the 160 grain at minor pf but the lighter bullets even at minor pf, not so good. I thought I had heard or read some where, eons ago when I was young... or at least not so old, that the twist rates were 1 in 12 and 1 in 14, but never trust my memory. later rdd

Colt used a faster twist (1 in 14, I think, I probably share Bubbers old memory issue) which was alot of the reason for the Smythons.

I make all my PPC guns with 1 in 10 twist out of Douglass blanks. They are the only American co. that makes 1 in 10 in .357.

Everyone else is more like 14 to 18. The 1 in 10 guns will shoot 148 wadcutters and 125 jhp from 650 to 750 fps into 2" groups

at 50 yards all day long. In one test, the 1 in 10 6" barrel with 4 power scope on sandbags was shooting 170 gr. Sierra jhp over

10.5 gr of Blue Dot into 2" at 100 yards. That is a .357 Magnum load. In another test, the same gun (686) would shoot PPC loads about 6 to 8 inch groups

at 100 yds. A stock 686 would shoot the same ammo in approx. 2 foot "groups". The stock gun would shoot about 4 to 5 inch groups

with the Magnum loads at 100 and 4 to 5 inch groups with the wadcutter load at 50 yds. I think the slower twist rate doesn't adequately

stabilize low velocity bullets at the further distances. People who never shoot over 25 yards probably will not notice much difference.

Who knows the barrel twist rate on the 627. Just bought a new one and setting it up for steel--at Mike C.'s right now. Curious to know what bullet weight would be optimum for accuracy. Know each gun has its own personality and sure I will try all the weights and configs anyway. Thx

[/quote

take a trip to the winterset isacc walton shooting range any first sunday of the month.

guest shoots first match free. OOPS matches in osceola shoot 2nd and 4 sundays i

think.ask Mike if he hasnt al ready filled you in.I shoot mainly at winterset and

ankeny isacc walton steel matchs but the oops is a great group also.

Fenwick: I have shot a couple of the steel matches at Ankeny and it was a good time with my 2011's--- just had to try revo's also. I would like to try Winterset and OOPS---dont they shoot USPSA?? Have never shot that type of match, would be fun. Thx