Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning New Stuff!

rhino

Tonight during the night shooting portion of my handgun class with Louis Awerbuck, I was having trouble getting good hits using the "Harries" technique for shooting with a flashlight. So, Louis taught me a different way (hold the light against my jaw so that it points where I look, then I shoot strong hand only) and it works great for me!

I like learning new things, especially when the work for me!

Well, all of the technique have their drawbacks. And my head is a LOT smaller target than my body! ;)

The fact is, it's the only way so far that I can get good hits. If I have a gun-mounted light or a special light so I can use the Rogers technique, then it's a different story.

And no matter where you hold the light . . .

1. You should be moving (or just moved or about to move)

2. The light is going to be disorienting to anyone who tries to use it as a target at close range. The people I know who have done low-light simunitions training report that using a powerful light up close makes it almost impossible for the assailant role player to see them.

Anyway . . . I finished day 3 of 3 today. Overall it was an excellent experience and the most important things I learned are very simlar to the discussions elsewhere on these forums about "just do it" and to not overthink a problem. If you focus on the target instead of the front sight, it's just too easy to make the problem far more complicated than it is, and my "solution" will fall short of the mark.

And I have a lot more confidence in my shooting when I am able to follow through on the sights and trigger and call the shot properly. Intellectually I know it's true, but I have trouble trusting myself!

Oh, and my Kimber Target Eclipse ran all three day without even adding lube! :wub:

And I have a lot more confidence in my shooting when I am able to follow through on the sights and trigger and call the shot properly. Intellectually I know it's true, but I have trouble trusting myself!

That is the constant battle.

That is the constant battle.

I'm hoping that shooting NRA Action Pistol with BigDave and twix will help with my confidence in my marksmanship fundmentals. Too bad there is only one more local match this year!