Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An FFL that wont accept from an individual

kgunz11

In my area, there are several FFL dealers that don't know or understand laws regarding shipping handguns. Many of them won't accept a handgun shipped from an individual, even when a field rep from the BATFE says they can. It gets really bad when someone ships the gun to your FFL and he now has it in his posession and it didn't come from another FFL and the FFL who now has the gun doesn't want to ship it back to the person that shipped it to him originally because that person is NOT an FFL.

In Georgia, you CAN ship a handgun person to person intrastate without having to go through an FFL. I do not recommend this practice, but according to the BATFE it is legal.

In Georgia, someone can ship a handgun to an FFL interstate without being an FFL. If you are receiving a gun from interstate (out of State) it MUST be shipped to an FFL.

So what do you do when your FFL has your handgun and it came from an individual but he will not transfer it to you because the individual does not have a valid FFL?!?!

Not looking for any replies, just venting, but you can reply if you like.

BTW, the postal employees don't much know laws respective of their shipping regulations either.

You CAN ship a long gun via the USPS if you are NOT an FFL, but you cannot ship a handgun if you are not an FFL. Expect drama when you declare the contents of a really long box as a rifle, and have a printed copy of the postal regs on hand and ask for the Postmaster General. USPS is the least expensive way to ship a long gun and their "certified signature" mail is pretty nice. Every time a new postal employee accepts the package they must sign for it and if it is damaged while in their possession, they are responsible for it.

It sucks when you have to ship a long gun and there is no UPS outlet in your town. Scheduling a "pick up" can be a hassle as well and it cost $10 additional to the cost of shipping charges.

i would call the guy it came from, have him find an FFL in his area, have your FFL ship it back to that FFL, have the guy come in verify the transfer, then have that FFL ship it to yours.

Whew, that is way too complicated or what!! why do they make it so hard.

I feel your pain, can't think of another solution, as crazy as it sounds.

maybe someone else can come up with another easier way?

Call the local BATFE office and have them straighten him out. He is holding property that is not his own. If he doesn't release it to the proper owners, he is in effect stealing it.

That is exactly what I had to do. I knew the laws, and the guy gave me a copy of his FFL to have the gun shipped to him. He thought when he gave it to me that the gun was coming from another FFL. The next nearest FFL dealer is 35 miles away from me and he won't accept from an individual rather it is legal or not. There are others in the same range, but the sentiment seems to be the same. I am trying to have a good relationship with the one 2 miles from my house, but it is difficult if he doesn't know the laws and gets pissed everytime I ask him to call the BATFE.

I wish a type 3 FFL would cover modern firearms instead of just curios and relics. I buy a lot of guns, it would be nice if I could get them shipped directly to me. I don't mind paying the $25 transfer fee that seems to be the norm, just gimme my damn gun!

i would call the guy it came from, have him find an FFL in his area, have your FFL ship it back to that FFL, have the guy come in verify the transfer, then have that FFL ship it to yours.

Whew, that is way too complicated or what!! why do they make it so hard.

I feel your pain, can't think of another solution, as crazy as it sounds.

maybe someone else can come up with another easier way?

He didn't want to send it back to the guys local FFL as they are not the owners of the gun either. It's really dumb, but after talking to the BATFE he released the gun to me finally. Do you know how hard it can be to get a field rep investigator from the FFL on the phone? :rolleyes:

My local FFL also made me get a copy of the shippers drivers license. While it is not required, the BATFE does recommend it.