Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shadow extraction problems

slickrick

hi, i have recently bought a shadow and i like the way it handles aside from a nagging problem: JAMS! at first the empty shell is only partially extracted so the next round is on the way up so its a pretty messy situation, failure to extract with a double feed after clearing. what i did was change out to a wolff extra power extractor spring: runs well at first then after a 100 rnds jams again! it seems the spring is too stiff, not letting go of the shell in time after firing so i have a stovepipe now. any suggestions on how to solve this? ammo is 124 fmj loaded with vvn320 with a pf of around 132. TIA guys. :cheers:

A CZ SP-01 Shadow?? Do those come with the flat wire recoil spring like a standard SP-01? It is meant for +P ammo and is too strong for 132 pf. How far is your brass ejecting? You might consider a 10lb recoil spring if the brass is just barely leaving the gun.

hi, i have recently bought a shadow and i like the way it handles aside from a nagging problem: JAMS! at first the empty shell is only partially extracted so the next round is on the way up so its a pretty messy situation, failure to extract with a double feed after clearing. what i did was change out to a wolff extra power extractor spring: runs well at first then after a 100 rnds jams again! it seems the spring is too stiff, not letting go of the shell in time after firing so i have a stovepipe now. any suggestions on how to solve this? ammo is 124 fmj loaded with vvn320 with a pf of around 132. TIA guys. :cheers:
Edited by pivoproseem

hi, i'm using an 11 lb recoil spring with 15 lb hammer spring.

It's been awhile but Angus emailed me and told me to only use the 11lb. recoil spring and the 15lb. hammer spring on his custom guns. I would email him and ask what you should run and what is possibly the first things to look for to fix your problem.

do you know what weight recoil spring that is in the gun??

if you don't put one in that you do..

I run like a 10# spring in my CZ for a 130PF load..11# and 12# spring works too..

put back in the factory extractor spring..more people replace this and cause more problems to appear.

see how it runs...try also factory ammo and see what happens..

also when/if the malfunction happens..shoot a picture..note where it is stuck..

do you know what weight recoil spring that is in the gun??

if you don't put one in that you do..

I run like a 10# spring in my CZ for a 130PF load..11# and 12# spring works too..

put back in the factory extractor spring..more people replace this and cause more problems to appear.

see how it runs...try also factory ammo and see what happens..

also when/if the malfunction happens..shoot a picture..note where it is stuck..

i'm using an 11lb. recoil spring with the factory extractor spring. better than the wolff extra power extractor spring(got stovepipes with these) but still not perfect. what happens sometimes is the empty shell is only half-extracted then the next round is on the way up. a very messy jam that takes me 4-5 secs. to clear!!!!! HELP!!!!! i can experiment with factory ammo but its quite impossible for me to use it long-term, too expensive. thanks for the input btw, much appreciated. :cheers:

I have a new Shadow SP-01, as well. It does the very nasty jam that you're talking about. It'll do it with Winchester whitle box, reloads..all ammo. <_<

I'll be trying a 10 lb. spring the CZ Custom Shop sent me in the coming days. I'll post the results.

Edited by BlackSabbath

if nothing changes with switching recoil spring and the extractor spring..you might be left with recutting the ejector.

come to think of it...I recut my ejectors as part of my reliability work as well as cutting a bevel and polishing the rail on the slide and reprofiling the slide stop.

let me know what you guys figure out.

Is the partially extracted round still held by the extractor or does the extractor let go without fully extracting? Either way, from the description, the jam involves a case still in the chamber, at least partially, right?

Perhaps the round at the top of the mag is being dragged forward by the slide and this is interfering with a clean extraction. Make sure the underside of your slide (aft of the breech face) is well polished and that there is a bevel on the leading edge at the bottom of the breech face (I think Stuart has a photo of this mod some place). This will keep the round in the mag from being dragged forward as the slide closes. You may see a sign of this when you drop a less than empty mag - the mag may hang a little rather than drop freely. Could also be a mag lip or mag spring issue.

When all else fails.....consider polishing the chamber and hope it goes away with break in.

---snip--- Perhaps the round at the top of the mag is being dragged forward by the slide and this is interfering with a clean extraction. Make sure the underside of your slide (aft of the breech face) is well polished and that there is a bevel on the leading edge at the bottom of the breech face (I think Stuart has a photo of this mod some place). ---snip---

Look 12 pictures down at the link I posted above...

Later,

Chuck

thanks chuck and double pedro, will try polishing ang beveling!! :) btw, what do you use for the beveling? will update you guys on the result. thanks!

I used a stone for the polishing and used a fine file to break the edge of the bolt face and cleaned it up with 400 - 600 sand paper.

Good luck!

Chuck