Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter fell down - gun was handled safely

matt2ace

I saw one of my friends DQ this year after he fell down while back peddling and he had the mind to get the gun on saftey before he hit the ground and they still DQed him, but also this guy that DQed him probally DQed 4 or 5 other guys on his stage for different things, so buy all rights is it the RO's call to let the shooter keep shooting or should it be a automatic DQ if you hit the ground. Buy the way guys I'am not a RO but I like knowing this stuff. :cheers:

I saw one of my friends DQ this year after he fell down while back peddling and he had the mind to get the gun on saftey before he hit the ground and they still DQed him, but also this guy that DQed him probally DQed 4 or 5 other guys on his stage for different things, so buy all rights is it the RO's call to let the shooter keep shooting or should it be a automatic DQ if you hit the ground. Buy the way guys I'am not a RO but I like knowing this stuff. :cheers:

It's not an automatic DQ for hitting the ground, but if you commit another safety violation on the way down (sweeping yourself or others, breaking the 180, dropping the gun, AD etc.) you're done. Applying the safety wouldn't mitigate any of those other infractions....

Nik;

As far as I know he did not do any of the thing that you mentioned, just hit the ground and put the safety on as he went down, but like I said the RO had already DQed 4 to 5 other people for other stuff on his stage, so kinda what I'am dancing around is my friend should have not been DQed and this RO shpuld have been reported for his miss judgment, because from what I heard and only heard all of his DQ's were very questionable :cheers:

Nik;

As far as I know he did not do any of the thing that you mentioned, just hit the ground and put the safety on as he went down, but like I said the RO had already DQed 4 to 5 other people for other stuff on his stage, so kinda what I'am dancing around is my friend should have not been DQed and this RO shpuld have been reported for his miss judgment, because from what I heard and only heard all of his DQ's were very questionable :cheers:

With all due respect --- I put no faith in what people hear. I put a little faith in what people other than the RO see, but I put more faith in the actual stage staff. I've had to inform a handful of people in almost seven years of ROing that they were done; approximately half of them had no clue that they'd broken the 180 or swept themselves.....

If you think an RO got a call wrong while you're shooting a stage, there are procedures in place to deal with that --- appeal to the CRO, the RM and finally arbitration. Arbitration at a local match is cheap....

In addition to what Nik just mentioned, there is a published policy concerning officials who abuse their authority or act contrary to the RO Creed, the rulebook, and their certification.

http://www.nroi.org/discipline.html

This applies to all levels of matches and provides an established process for resolution. Much better than grumbling about undefined and undocumented bad judgment.

:cheers:

And, any DQ gets reported to the Range Master...along with the reason.

They aren't given lightly.

While having the safety on is a good thing, it's not a factor in the call. And, there is no DQ for falling down. The RO who made the call would have to document the rule that was violated and the Range Master would see that as well.

I am pretty sure I know which match and which stage you are talking about, btw. It was tough one.

Good on your buddy for getting the safety on. And, good on you for sticking up for him.

And, any DQ gets reported to the Range Master...along with the reason.

Unless you're shooting a local match --- where I sometimes only found out when doing the scores, despite repeated entreaties to let me know during the walkthrough.....

If someone on your squad is DQ'd during a local, go find the match director --- he's either the RM or he can point you to the RM. It's the right thing to do for multiple reasons: ROs occasionally make mistakes, shooters can sometimes learn from a conversation --- and often the RM either has more experience having that conversation or more tact than someone who just got scared --- and the match staff should want to evaluate whether stage design/build may have contributed.

That last part's not a pass for the shooter --- they're responsible for safety no matter how bad the stage build is --- but sometimes stage designers can learn something too. I can remember turning a corner during a walkthrough, and wanting to engage a target before realizing that I was looking at the back end of a no-shoot --- fortunately I learned that stage design lesson while looking at the stage, not while shooting it.....

Yea. Flex you guessed it right as to what match, don't get me wrong I worked the match and also shot it and it was a great match, but all this discussion is just for me to know wright from wrong in the future. I also plan to get certified in ROing in the future too. I think this topic went the way it is so pose to and talk all this stuff out. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...