Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

berreta xtrema 2 or benelli sbe

nosler4570

I've also heard good things about Winchester autoloaders, but have no experience with them. As far as gas-operated guns versus Benellis in general, for all weather conditions, I would put money on the Benelli being more reliable(3" chambers). After having my old reliable Rem. 1100 fail while duck hunting near the coast, I now shoot a Rem. 870.

Yes, I am referring to the Winchester X guns. They have been far and away more reliable in hunting conditions than the Benelli's have. I bought into the hype and advertising with an M1 3" gun and a SBE, neither one of them would run consistently in the field with the awkward shooting positions and support behind the gun. Sometimes you just can't get behind the gun to support it and sometimes you have it rock solid where it can't recoil at all, the Benelli system just isn't tolerant of that. On the target field they did a lot better but still weren't problem free. My X2 3.5" gun has over 30K rounds through it, over 8000 of them 3.5" shells hunting and has not jammed to this day. The Benelli 3.5" wouldn't go 50 rounds hunting, and the 3" gun was just as bad if not worse. The other thing I absolutely hated about the Benelli was the the locktime from sear break to shot firing, you can time them with a sundial. THE worst trigger system in a shotgun I have ever used. They recoil a LOT harder than a gas gun too. There is a very good reason why you see so many of the SBE's for sale used IMO.....

The Extrema ran circles around the Benelli and shot pretty soft but had POI a full foot left at 30 yards and did jam once every couple hundred rounds or so, Beretta said that a foot at 30 yards was 'within tolerance' and wouldn't do anything about it even though they knew they had bore to choke bore and thread concentricity issues. I either had to have eccentric chokes made to correct the problem or dump it, so I dumped it.

My X2 has been THE best shotgun I have ever owned, more reliable than my 870 in REALLY bad weather even. The 870 won't run with much ice in and on the trigger group, the X2 keeps going. I absolutely love that gun.

thanks you all for the info,will look into the x3 and make my order base on comment and actual testing of the guns

I have owned or shot every auto made except the x3. I have a friend who owns one and likes it.

For the most part they are all good in there own way and bad in there own way. I owned an extrema 2 last year and got rid of it because I could not get used to the safety on the front of the trigger guard. I have since owned 2 different SBE II (one black, one camo) and for me they are the best out there. The ease of being able to take it apart and clean it and reassemble it in 10 minutes is a huge plus when you hunt in the adverse conditions like we do.

With all this said, my son shoots a X2 and it is also a very good gun

Good luck in your decision. Don't forget to look into Browning's new auto loader coming the first part of the new year.