Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over travel screw affects the reset how?

1911jerry

I am using a STI double stack grip with a long curve trigger. If I tighten it, that will reduce the over travel, and cause the trigger to not reset so quickly?

I had the trigger stall out and not reset a couple of times. First time it has happened. All other function of the gun work perfectly.

Jerry

If you tighten it so there is less overtravel then the reset should be shorter (faster) up until the point where the gun will not fire because the trigger cannot move far enough for the sear to clear the hammer hooks. You need to have it set so the sear clears the half-cock notch as well as the hammers hooks like Jeff686 pointed out.

Is your problem that the trigger is not resetting after you fire or that the gun will not fire when you pull the trigger?

You need to find the right overtravel balance. If its too much you get that the trigger need to move forward for long distnace so you have a long reset, if its too short the hammer half cock notch (safety tip) will not works and sometime the hammer will follow the slide with light misfire of primers. So for me not too much, not too less.