Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lazy BRass

UltraTen

Need some help.

I recently had some problems with my SV, it was failing to extract the brass out of the chamber before it tried to strip another round.

Prior to that I had not a problem with the gun.

To solve it, I stripped the gun down completely, cleaned it up, and squared off the extractor. (the tip was damaged trying to extract the brass)

Now the gun runs fine, no feeding or extraction problems.

The only thing I have a concern about is now is the spent brass is just dribbling out of the gun.

I fired off about 15 rounds this morning, all of the brass was in a nice little pile just in front of my right foot. :huh:

Does anyone know what causes this, or how I can correct it.

I'm a little concerned because I can see a malfunction coming. <_<

There are some little blue pills that you can take that will do the trick. Oh, I just reread your post. It's not that kind of ejection problem. :blush:

In this case, I suspect FullRace has identified the culprit. You said you squared off the ejector. More tension may do the trick. However, it may also be that the hook is now so short that it is barely catching the rim edge.

Sorry about my earlier confusion. :devil:

There are some little blue pills that you can take that will do the trick. Oh, I just reread your post. It's not that kind of ejection problem. :blush:

In this case, I suspect FullRace has identified the culprit. You said you squared off the ejector. More tension may do the trick. However, it may also be that the hook is now so short that it is barely catching the rim edge.

Sorry about my earlier confusion. :devil:

I'm not in need of the little blue pills..........yet............... but I could use some of that spray on hair! :roflol:

I have quite a bit of tension on it now, but I'll try it and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't do the trick is there anything else that may cause the brass to come out like that??

You may want to check your grip screws make sure they are tight also check the ejector make sure it isn't broke.

:cheers:

BK

How would the grip screws effect ejection??

I'm not trying to be smart, I just want to understand...

:blink:

Loose grip screws on a 2011 STI/Sv platform can cause all kinds of issues. I think you really need to replace the extractor and make sure the ejector is not broke.

One more thing is make sure your extractor channel is clean.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

One other thought is to check for any small cracks around the upper portion of the grip near where you trigger finger extends. Check both sides. Even small cracks can result in some problems although it very well may not be an issue here.

I doubt that the extractor is holding the brass all the way back to the ejector, and you're just getting lucky that it's ejecting. I'm just guessing here without seeing the gun.

That's not good........I'm using all the luck I have to keep the bullets in the "A" zone. :roflol:

I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the advice!!