Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pre-set

Rocket

I've been pulling my second shots slightly low during quick strings with type two focus. If I slow down and really focus on the front site with a good trigger pre-set the shots are right on , but I want to go fast. I'm not sure if I'm over timing the gun and letting it dip below the plane momentarily , or just jerking it low with the trigger. I'm wondering if an Enos type trigger curve might help cure the problem in that it appears to vector the trigger force slightly upward. What is the theory behind the "Enos curve" SVI insert ?

Bill

Are you sure you aren't squeezing the gun to death and pushing the whole gun down? And tensing your upper body along with it?

The Enos trigger is sort of the like the Ed Brown Memory Groove beavertail safety; it gives you a subconscious way of positioning your finger correctly on the trigger. You can't tell if you're high or low on other triggers.

Erik , you are probably right on the grip tightening. I think in an effort to keep the recoil arc as short as possible I've been clamping down on the gun pretty hard and probably get ahead of the gun with timing. It sure is fast when the front site never gets much above the A-zone. If I go to a type 3 focus I am able to keep everything together , but I can't pick up the targets as fast. I don't know if I should train to make type 3 faster or just work on timing and type 2 for targets in the 7-12 yd range. Outside that range the type two focus method really falls apart for me. Match pressure added to the mix brings those ranges down even further and I have to revert to type 3 to get good calls even at 10 yds. . If I can get a good trigger pre-set the timing problems seem to go away , It's just hard to do at around <.25 splits.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, it sounds like a matter of technique, not one of equipment.

Although the "be" trigger is the shit, ;), it won't eliminate problems resulting from an inconsistent grip, or a grip that changes strength or "spasms" while the gun is firing.

be

Brian , You are right , it's a spasm while the gun is firing , and it can happen so fast it's very hard to see at speed. I've had to back track and re-focus on maintaining a good neutral grip with a perfect return. If my grip strength changes , I get the over return muzzle dip thing going. Seems to be a fine line between rapid return and over return. It's also interesting that when I shift my focus into something else like trigger pre-set , the grip issue seems to resolve itself without much conscious effort. I'm still working hard to see the freeze frame image of front sight lifting against the target background at rapid splits. I'm just not there yet , but I'm starting to see it well during group shooting and the results are amazing. When it's working, the front sight looks like its almost in slow motion as it leaves upwards and the goups start getting very tight. When it's not working , It's like bang , it's gone. Am I making any sense ? When I talk to other people I shoot with about this stuff they look at me like I'm smokin something.

Bill

It's also interesting that when I shift my focus into something else like trigger pre-set , the grip issue seems to resolve itself

That's often the case. It's strange how if we just pay attention to something, seemingly unrelated problems fix themselves. Usually when technical problems (flinching, grip spasms) arise it's due to rushing, and you'll notice when you're rushing you're not paying attention to anything, specifically. It's difficult to completely attend if you're trying anything at all, even trying to attend.

without much conscious effort.

In your example of shifting your focus to trigger re-set, I'd say there is conscious effort, just maybe not specifically directed into the area that needs "help."

The problem is usually that when we are consumed by rushing/trying, there isn't any conscious attention available. Most problems will resolve themselves by simply maintaining a state of effortless, conscious attention, directed toward the particular realm of disorder at the moment.

I'm still working hard to see the freeze frame image of front sight lifting against the target background at rapid splits.

Train to "recognize" the freeze frame image as a specific frame of a continuous video - the video of everything the sights are doing.

be