Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Returning shooter

Hello All,

I am pleased to have found the BE website with all of the buckets of information for the various shooting activities. I have been out of IPSC shooting for many years due to work conflict and am anxious to step back in. Many things have changed since I participated and I have been spending a lot of time here, soaking it all up. For instance, when I shot, the IDPA was in its infancy and as I recall there was only Limited and Open in the IPSC field. CMores had just been released and custom pistols on S_I frames and Para, were taking the game by storm.

I shot Limited then and have since sold my P1640, but retained my old Gold Cup that I got my feet wet with. I am in the process of accumulating holsters, belt and gear for both the old GC and a new to me, Caspian frame/slide custom Open built by Bruce Gray up in Oregon. Yep, I got an open gun to play with because frankly I can't see the sights as well as I used to. I read many shooters my age or older have switched with much success. I prefer shooting Limited, but if you can't see, then its not going to be a lot of fun.

I had kept all my loading equipment so I don't have to start over there. I ordered dies and bullets for the 'new' .38 Super and wll begin working up loads this weekend, hopefully, weather permitting. Anyway, I am pretty excited to 'get the bug' again and hopefully I can manage work to where I can shoot often and see some old friends and make some new one's.

See you soon at a central Texas range

Lynn Gibson

Lynn,

Welcome back. Hope your new blaster works for you. As far as your GC for SS, take a look at some blasters with fiber optic sights. I just turned 62 and my eyes aren't what the used to be. The green FO front/plane black rear works pretty good for me because it stays sharp whereas the red/orange fuzzes out. I don't get enough practice to get used to optics even though I have tried.

Richard

Lynn,

Welcome back. Hope your new blaster works for you. As far as your GC for SS, take a look at some blasters with fiber optic sights. I just turned 62 and my eyes aren't what the used to be. The green FO front/plane black rear works pretty good for me because it stays sharp whereas the red/orange fuzzes out. I don't get enough practice to get used to optics even though I have tried.

Richard

+1 I was going to go open again after a 15 year lay off, I came back last summer, although I am still interested in open I found that the fiber optics is enough for this style of shooting. There was one stage though that I looked over the top of my glasses because of the shooting angle and I didn't hit anything at about 30 yards. I didnt even realize that I wasn't using my glasses.

Thanks guys!

It was difficult giving it up for such a long time. Soon as I collect my gear (buying used this time around since internet makes it easy) I will start planning for some matches. The range where I 'used' to shoot matches has been shut down due to development. Its unfortunate, but many are being closed or moved. I now have to travel around 100 miles to the club matches I have found in Waco, San Antonio and LaGrange. I suppose thats not a big deal, but it was a surprise.

So, I should be up and running in a month and I'll try to keep the priorities straight from now on. :)

Thanks for all the responses and welcomes and hope to meet some of you soon.

lg

Another Pcar pilot! Yep, the new one's are really nice (read expensive). But, I like the earlier body styles and the 964 was the last of the old 911s but the first with all the hi tech AWD, torque biasing and ABS. It was years ahead of the competition. It is a driving experience. Its an Open gun on wheels!

Thanks for all the welcomes. Makes you want to get out there and blast!

lg