Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 610 10mm/40

SteveHarris

I just bought a S&W 610 10mm/40 (a factory full moon clip gun). I've been shooting IDPA and USPSA with a pistol but I want to shoot a second classification. I plan to shot IDPA to start with and then, when I'm ready for more reloads and speed, shoot USPSA. The 610 is currently only available with 4" but I have a factory 6.5" barrel for USPSA if I decide that's what I need.

The reason I picked the 610 was so I can share the same 40 S&W ammo as with my Limited gun. I hope that the 50oz (4") shooting a 40 S&W will be a smoother shooter than a 45 ACP in 125 PF IDPA as well as making major in USPSA. (I'd rather make major in a 40 than a 357).

Well............. now I have the revolver and some assumptions. What I need is some 'real world' input on loads and tricks shooting the 610. Also, would I be too handicaped shooting the 4" in USPSA or should I wait until I screw in the 6.5" barrel.

What I did find out was the 3 gr of Clays behind a 180 dosen't always get'm out the barrel :wacko:

What's the handicap with the 4" bbl? Not velocity. Because wheelgun bbls are measured muzzle to forcing cone instead of muzzle to chamber as in a pistol, you've got the equivalent of a 5" auto bbl. Sight radius? I don't think so. The advantage is you've got something much more pointable than a 6+" bbl. IDPA and USPSA don't need all that sight radius.

Nice choice. I would start out by chronoing your Limited gun's ammo in your 610. Chances are the velocity are a little low (depending on what bullet size you use, the diameter of the barrel, etc.). But it might as well work out fine immediately.

If velocity is low, I doubt that another 2,5"of barrel is going to fix it, unless velocity is just a tad too low (You might want to ask Patrick Sweeney, he's the loadmaster on these board, or anywhere else for that matter).

And you do realize that screwing in a 6,5" barrel will get you tossed out of IDPA SSR, right?

610's are nice guns. Leave it as it is and it's a fine shooter. For full customization, I put in some Jerry Miculek springs, picked some grips that fit my hands and chamfered the chargeholes, that's it.

Sometimes I htink length is the smallest variable in the mix. My 4" 625-2 posts higher velocities than my 6.5" 25-2 does, with the same ammo lots. (go figure.)

You can't shoot the 6.5 in IDPA. In IPSC it comes down to balance and pointing. I much prefer the longer to the shorter, even if a stage is all close hoser targets.

You'll also find changes in your zero switching from IDPA 125PF loads to IPSC 165PF loads. Your choices are to remember and dial the sights, or shoot IPSC Minor or IDPA unscored Major. (You don't get extra benefits by shooting over the threshold in IDPA, just more recoil.)

Chrono what you've got and adjust as needed. The sole advantage of using .40 brass over 10 brass is the ejection, where the shorter brass is more likely to clear the grips, star and frame.

I too much prefer the 6.5 inch to the 4 inch for shooting IPSC because the longer, heavier barrel handles so much better than the sort tubes. Shooting a revolver well is a whole lot different than shooting a semi-auto and the added weight and length of the longer barrel is an advantage when shoting at warp drive. The 610 is a great gun, but I am dumping mine in favor of a 6.5 inch 25-2. The 25 just has better handling characteristics and I like the way a .45 loads with round nose bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

My plan all along was to shoot the 610 with a 4" barrel in IDPA for starters and then decide either to screw in my 6 1/2 " barrel for USPSA or buy a second 610 setup with a 6 1/2" barrel for USPSA and shoot both. I might also like to shoot in ICORE's six-shooter catagory just to get in another monthly match.

Does anyone have any recomendations as to bullet weight and bullets for fast reloads??? Also, is there anyone using SpeedSticks and, if so, are they 'the way to go'???

Thanks for all your input - please keep it coming. I get my 'trick'd out' 610 back from the gunsmith on about Sept. 4th :lol:

Steve, For the bullet weight I would go light. I have seen 155 grain 40 bullets. As for the type avoid flat points. The rounder the better I have found. Speed Sticks, I used them. But you need to know what is slowing you down on the reloading, Is it having to "jiggle" the moon clips to get them to go in? If so then speed sticks will help. I use the thin moonclips because the seem to work better for me. Heathco (spelling) makes thicker moons that makes the rounds less floppy which may help. But I would reccommend getting one of his chamber checkers that check the moon and rounds to see if they would fit in your cylinder properly. This has saved me a few times when one of my rounds would not fit. Also you already know there are at least two diferent methods of speed loading. Speed Sticks were designed for the method when your strong hand never leaves the grip. They will help on the method also. You might visit www.azwildbunch .com There are some videos on how to use Speed Sticks and some tricks. Well enuff from me Good luck on your revo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using a S+W 610 in ICORE, IPSC and IDPA. I have to say I get a lot of reactions from the auto boys when they see a six gun at IPSC. My main focus of competition thus far has been IDPA and ICORE, IPSC is great cause it make me practice reloads under match conditions. I have had a lot of luck shooting mine with the 4" (actually 3 and seven eighths") barrel. As far as modifications a gold bead front sight, Jerry's grips and a little chamferring is all. Good luck. :blink: