Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weak hand stages

rrubert

When a stage calls for weak hand shooting, what are the rules for getting the handgun to the weak hand? Will the handgun ever start in the holster requiring a strong hand to weak hand transfer? If so, are there rules for how this is done (finger out of the trigger guard, safety engaged, etc.)? Or do all such stages begin with the handgun staged out of the holster?

Thanks,

Rod

When a stage calls for weak hand shooting, what are the rules for getting the handgun to the weak hand? Will the handgun ever start in the holster requiring a strong hand to weak hand transfer? If so, are there rules for how this is done (finger out of the trigger guard, safety engaged, etc.)? Or do all such stages begin with the handgun staged out of the holster?

Thanks,

Rod

You transfer from strong to weak. Finger out side the trigger guard unless you want to go home early... safety does not have to be engaged, but advisable. All classifiers I know of call for a transfer fro one hand to the other.

A stage may be setup which is written up telling you to shoot weak hand, but that doesn't preclude you from picking the gun up with the right and transferring. In such a case you could do either, unless specified to do one or the other. In no case will you draw a gun from your strong side with your weak hand.

Edited by JThompson

What Jim said. And for your reading pleasure here's the applicable rules regarding weak-hand shooting:

1.1.5.5 Acourse of fire which, through the use of props, requires a competitor

to shoot both strong-hand-only and weak-hand-only must

not require that the shooter transition directly from one to the

other. The course of fire must provide movement and unencumbered

freestyle target engagement between the two.

8.2.4 A course of fire must never require the competitor to draw a handgun

from the holster with the weak hand.

10.2.8 If a course of fire stipulates shooting strong or weak hand only, a competitor

will not be penalized for using the other hand (i.e. the other arm

from the shoulder to the hand) to disengage an external safety, to reload

or to correct a malfunction. However, the competitor will be issued one

procedural penalty per shot fired while:

10.2.8.1 Touching the handgun with the other hand while firing shots;

10.2.8.2 Using the other hand to support the handgun, wrist or shooting

arm while firing shots;

10.2.8.3 Using the other hand on a barricade or another prop to increase

stability while firing shots.

10.2.10.1 Exception – In a weak hand/strong hand stage, a competitor who

has physical use of only one hand may use the same hand for

both weak and strong without penalty.

• 2 months later...

If you are new, and shooting a 1911 or other single action trigger with an ambi safety, I recommend leaving the safety engaged until the transfer is complete, and disengaging the safety with the weak hand. much safer, and less likely to get sent home with DQ.

Or in the case of the car poolers, picking up your friend's brass for the rest of the day...

Technically, I don't think that the rules require you to transfer the gun from strong hand to support hand. They do say that it can't be mandatory to draw with the support hand, but I don't think there's anything precluding you from drawing with your support hand if you're capable of doing so. I'm sure it's a really bad idea though ;)