Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PreMatch Jitters

Gunreaper

I used to let the nerves get to me. I think a lot of it was worrying about embarassing myself or f-ing up the stage. With some degree of improvement in the last year I have removed that feeling from the jitters. I do use some of the breathing techniques described in other posts, but now I just let the stage happen. I have some confidence now and I try to just let the stage flow by giving each target the time needed to make good hits. The high after you know you ran a stage as well as possible is what keeps me amped now. Do try to keep in mind that in the big scheme of things fun is why we do this.

The best thing to stop pre-match jitters is, I feel, knowing you're a good shooter. In The Book, our host said something to the effect of, "When you look at a stage, and, before your even shoot, you know there's nothing there that you can't do well, you've already won." Actually, if I ever look over a stage and I start getting the whole "elevated heart rate" effect, it's a sure sign there's something there that I know I haven't practiced enough. Thankfully, as the years go by, that happens more and more rarely.

Although it may take some experience to reach this - don't make the fact that you are nervous or even visibly shaking into a problem.

I shot many of the best stages in big matches I ever shot with my legs, arms, and hands shaking - before the buzzer. I remember one Steel Challenge in particular... I remember thinking, as I'm getting the "shooter ready, stand by" - "I wonder if everyone watching can see me shaking." I felt like I could barely stand up. But when the buzzer went off I just paid attention and shot, like my life depended on it. It was one of the best stages I ever shot in my life.

be

If you don't care about the results and are prepared to accept the best you can do right now the jitters stop. You can still have fun, you can still get a rush from the shooting, but the wicked jitters go away.