Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for STI .22 conversion

bbbean

I just got my STI .22 conversion for my 1911, and it looks great. Unfortunately, the slide is a bit wider than a normal 1911 slide, and it doesn't fit in my Blade Tech, Fobus, or G-Code holsters. Any suggestions for a holster thta will fit the wider slide?

Heat guns are your friend.

Rich

If I should decide to make one of my existing holsters a dedicated .22 holster (that'd only leave me with about 20 holsters for the 1911), how do you use the heat gun to mold the holster? Do you heat it with the gun inside? Can you heat plastic or kydex?

smokshwn's way is not bad and definitely yields more overall control. How I molded my Fobus for my G22 is to simply heat the plastic in a specifc area and then insert the pistol. Some pulling/pushing/wedging with screwdrivers & wedges helped to expedite things a smidge.

Rich

smokshwn's way is not bad and definitely yields more overall control. How I molded my Fobus for my G22 is to simply heat the plastic in a specifc area and then insert the pistol. Some pulling/pushing/wedging with screwdrivers & wedges helped to expedite things a smidge.

Rich

Thanks again. As it turns out we don't have a heat gun, so I guess I'll try boiling water and whichever excess holster comes closest to fitting.

Thanks for the heat gun suggestion, guys. I've never worked on kydex befor, but a borrowed heat gun had it pliable in no time. and I now have a dedicated holster for the .22 conversion.

FWIW, I've only run a few rounds through the conversion, but I can see this being a GREAT training tool. The absence of noticeable recoil should help me focus on trigger technique. I may even try to hunt rabbits with it this season.

And, of course, I enjoyed picking up 1000 rounds of .22 for roughly the price of 100 rounds of .45. Only thing I'm not wild about is 10 round mags, but that's a problem I can live with.