Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pull the trigger

Pittbug

Before the match this weekend I did some dry fire practicing for a few days. While I think it helped during reloads and better indexing, I found that when I shot the match I would get on target and admire the sight picture instead of pulling the trigger straight away. It felt like I was watching the front sight for about a second before the little voice inside my head told me to pull the trigger.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a ghost of dry firing because all I can do there is to look at the front sight. Should I be doing something specific in my dry fire practice to prevent/lessen this effect? Any tips?

Thx

JimmyM: Hmm... maybe that's the piece that I was missing. I needed to do some live fire after a few days of dry firing. I'll give that a try before the next match.

Flex: Thanks for the link, maybe I'll bump into you next year, I'd like to give USPSA a try.

A couple of things to throw out there. One, Steve Anderson's book specifically tells you to NOT press the trigger when doing at least some of his drills. You can touch and prep the trigger, but don't drop the hammer. I found that I had to throw in a some where I actually press the trigger, but not all the time.

Two, if the guns comes up, you get on the front sight and are thinking "why haven't I already pressed the trigger", that's a good thing. It means things aren't happening too fast for you to process them. Some of the absolute fastest runs I've ever had were where I was constantly wondering why I hadn't already shot....the sights were already there and it seemed like I was waiting for something.

I wouldn't worry about it too much until you've gotten some more trigger time with a timer to give you a better idea of your baseline times on drills. R,