Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Aftec Thoughts

Steve Anderson

I currently have an aftec extractor in my open blaster, it's working fine.

I am, however, thinking about ordering a spare for major match insurance, so:

1. If I use the same firing pin stop, will a new aftec drop right in?

2. Does a new aftec need any tuning at all? I know Matt Burkett said there may be some clearance issues, is this rare or normal?

3. I already ordered some spare springs, is a spare aftec overkill?

Thanks in advance,

SA

Steve,

It is probably overkill but it never hurts. If you get another one I would fit it and keep the old one for the backup. If your firing pin stop is already fitted the second one will probably drop in, you might need to take a little more off the firing pin stop. A little too much won't hurt - on an Aftec there needs to be some play not tight like with regular extractors. Make sure there is at least 0.062 between the breechface and the hook.

Steve --- just my experience but my first Aftec in my Limcat Open gun broke right in half. It was replaced by Brownells, but I certainly would hate to have it happen at a match! I also had one of the "arms" on the Aftec spring cap break off as well. I had to mail the broken one to Aftec & they replaced it free of charge.

Long way of saying that I carry a complete spare Aftec with me at all times!

All right, time to admit just how anal I am. Gojng to a big match I bring the Production legal G34, the Production legal G17 back-up gun, and the IDPA Legal/Limited legal G34. On top of that I carry all the parts except for Frame, Slide, and Barrel to completely rebuild the blaster and the tools required to do so. I could strip the IDPA guns top end off if I needed to --- the frame's been extensively dremeled so it's no longer Production legal. I'm pretty sure, that lugging all that stuff around is why I haven't had gun problems during a major yet....

Hmmmm, maybe I should knock wood anyway...

I'm with ya...when I shot production only I took at least 2, sometimes 3 Identical Berettas just in case.

With the open noisemaker, I'm still learning what to do. I'm dealing with issues as they arrise.

I had my first failure to extract ever with this gun on Saturday, so I took the aftec out to clean it up. The coils were so caked in gunk they could barely move. It's much better now... :)

I'll be getting a spare.

SA