Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good all around .223 Varmit load for Ar w/ 1 in 8 twist?

Baer45

(1) Two of my AR's have a 1 in 8 twist and love 77 gr. match; but it would be nice to find a less rechochet prone prone bullet that I could use in 1 and 9 as well. Ballistic tip or soft lead, hoolow point. If no such thing; I have a hard time finding a Varmit load above 60 gr.? Reloading rifle rounds is all new to me...

(2) Suggestion for good all around practive load for 223 AR that is sub MOA and can be used for hunting...ie not hollow head match bullet?

Thanks, Court in Richmond

Boy, this is helpful. I had no idea the 52 gr. would stablize in a 1 in 8. I have used the Nosler 55 gr boat tail and love it other them cost. My 223's either like it best or Remington Accu tip which I understand is going to be avaliable to reloaders...thanks

The problem isnt them stabilizing.

Its some of the light varment bullets blow up upon leaving the barrel when pushed hard out of a fast twist.

Many high power shooters use varment bullets in 1-7.5 1-8 barrels at the short line.

Edited by blkbrd

Thanks Rich- your input sinks in. I really only plan on using my AR's for doomday but I have a Baer Varmiter with a 1 in 8 that I'll put up agains most bolt guns and I would hate to do that chnage out that barrel. I have thought about it on another AR and that is a good idea. I use a Wilson to hunt ground hogs with when walking and use the Baer when I set up for range...Again- thanks

Try some Sierra 55 Gamekings, they shoot VERY well out of my 8 twist guns. They are as accurate as any other bullet I have tried under 68 grains. They are sub MOA out of a 10" Contender as well out to 200 yards, probably further but I don't have the glass on it to shoot much past 200...

I use top end charges of Varget with them and it just stacks them.

This is great help! As a side; speaking to a dealer today; Wednesday might be the largest single sales day they will have seen in a long time. I can't wait to load some brass and see how these loads shoot at the range. Again..Thanks- Court in Richmond

I was just reading about this tonight. There are apparently 4 or 5 different twists available for the AR. You need to match your bullet weight and speed to the twist rate for best accuracy. Some of the lighter bullets do come apart out of the high twist rate barrels, and the heavy bullets (55gr +) won't hold accuracy on long shots without the increased spinning. So it does make a difference.

There's a very good explanation in both the new Lyman and Sierra RLMs.