Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for feedback

Z32MadMan

Hello all

I'm looking for some feedback on these two stages. Unfortunately I only got video of two of the stages. I'm shooting Production and I'm unclassified but I would guess that I'm around a low C?

Please give me your thoughts.

This is the first.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8883039615205286420

The video starts half way through due to some "technical difficulties" my friend had, so I apologise for the crappiness. You may not get much. The stage starts with your hands on the left window sill. Draw and take out 5 paper on the left, then the steel and the far right target, then 3 close targets on the right. This stage went fairly well for me, I did a little better than usual on the steel, and the last reload was good.

I shot 108 points no penalties in 20.91 seconds, 5.16 HF, and 50.35% of the top shooter

The top shooter was a M class Open who show 115 points, in 11.21 seconds.

Top shooter in Production was a B class who shot 116 points in 14.38 seonds

Second stage

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...58154&hl=en

Going through the path, engaging 4 paper, turn then 4 paper, head for the box and 4 more paper. I saw a lot of people running up on the paper and blasting them, but by looking at other shooters it seemed walking while engaging seemed to be the way to go. The first reload was off, which put me closer to the second set of targets than I wanted to be. Last array, I called a bad shot on target 2, so I gave it a third round. Same thing on the 3rd target but I had already moved to the 4th target. Targets 2,3, and 4 needed the extra shot. They worked on 2 and 3, but I shot a nice tight 3 shot group in the C on the 4th target.... My calling skills are a work in progress. Basically right now I get a yay or nay in my head, yes that was good or no that didn't look right.

I shot 100 points no penalties in 14.74 seconds, 6.784 HF and 55.73% of the top shooter

Top shooter was a M Open who shot 107 in 8.79 seconds

Best Production run on this stage was a A class who shot 114 points in 12.88 seconds

Overall for the match I shot 52% of the winner M Open and 71% of the B class who took Production

Thanks and Cheers

• 1 month later...

I am not an expert by any means but I have shot quite a few matches and more importantly watched a few GM's run through many stages the way they should be shot. With that caveat, I think the places where you are losing time is by slowing down way too early for the first two sets of targets before getting to the end. If a GM or M was shooting that stage I could totally see them running all the way up to the first two target sets and shooting them as they are moving around the corner. Key word there being "Moving" as they would still be moving around the corner as they shot. When you are that close to the targets you could shoot them all my simply "Point shooting" and not even use the sights at a very fast pace with .15 - .20 splits on the shots. Slowing down before you get to the targets/turns just slows down the whole time it takes to navigate the course of fire before you can get to the end. Both in slower shot cadence because you have to aim for the shots (being further away) and slower physical movement through the course.

This is my humble assessment of your performance. I am sure there are some far more knowledgeable shooters that could give you some more advise on what could have been done better.

I didn't even see this thread until today. I'll throw in my two cents worth. On stage one, would it have been possible to get the gun in front of your face before or at about the same time you stepped into the doorway? When you got to that position did you set up on the fastest target? It looks like you shot the plates then made a very wide transition to the paper. If you did that to avoid leaving on steel, that's fine but lean, get a foot up, etc. as you fire that last shot on the paper. On the last array I think I counted seven shots. Did you have a make-up and if so was it necessary? Darn fine reload, btw. If you had kept the gun a little higher could you have gotten going on the last array a little faster? I know we can't watch the first array, but once again, did you shoot coming in and shoot while leaving?

On stage two was the required starting position with one foot on the board? Which foot do you normally take off on when you are just standing naturally and begin to walk? Most folks have a preference. The killer on a start like that is if you load your weight on the wrong foot, then shift your weight a little back in reation to the buzzer then take the step. Personally, I would have stood more "naturally" loading the left foot a bit, then stepped into the shooting area with the right foot while drawing. It would be nice to have the gun in your face and on target before the trailing foot even lands. I wasn't there to see the first array, but are you sure you shot the targets in the most efficient order possible? I am not sure I would have taken the most difficult shot first. I do know I would have planned on having the spent mag out of the gun and a fresh mag in hand sooner. You looked tense and hurried on the second array. Were you required to shoot the last four targets from the box? Whether you were or not, the goal should be to get the reload done in the first step and a half to two steps. If you were required to engage from the box, get the reload finished before you are in the box then shift your attention to having the gun in front of your face as you step into the box and be good to go as the trailing foot settles, if not before. As you know, those make up shots killed you. Having said all of that, maybe you shot the stage as well as you can considering your current skill level and learning curve? I am guessing not.

Keep up the good work. It's cool that you took the time to video and look for ways to improve. :cheers:

I am not an expert by any means but I have shot quite a few matches and more importantly watched a few GM's run through many stages the way they should be shot. With that caveat, I think the places where you are losing time is by slowing down way too early for the first two sets of targets before getting to the end. If a GM or M was shooting that stage I could totally see them running all the way up to the first two target sets and shooting them as they are moving around the corner. Key word there being "Moving" as they would still be moving around the corner as they shot. When you are that close to the targets you could shoot them all my simply "Point shooting" and not even use the sights at a very fast pace with .15 - .20 splits on the shots. Slowing down before you get to the targets/turns just slows down the whole time it takes to navigate the course of fire before you can get to the end. Both in slower shot cadence because you have to aim for the shots (being further away) and slower physical movement through the course.

I agree with running up and shooting them, that stage is basically a foot race. sprint to the corner, shoot as you brake for the corner, sprint out. But there is always time to see your sights

If a GM or M was shooting that stage I could totally see them running all the way up to the first two target sets and shooting them as they are moving around the corner.
Depends on the GM. I could see TGO, Taran Butler, etc. opening up a major can of whoop ass without getting out of third gear let alone over drive. It depends on your style, body type, and temperament. I only have three speeds, start, stumble, and fall down and I know I could shoot that COF without feeling embarrassed. :cheers: Edited by Ron Ankeny

It’s easy for us to draw conclusions as to how the stage could have been shot better or differently without knowing the rules dictated in the stage description. For example, if you didn't "Have to" shoot the targets in the back of the COF from the box you could shoot that whole stage from the starting position and save a ton of time. We all tackle stages differently and bias how we do them to suit our strengths and minimize the weaknesses we have. If the stage description mandated that the last targets had to be shot from the box at the end, I would have run right up on the first two sets of targets and point shot them as fast as I could knowing that at such a close distance misses, no shoots, or "D" hits would be easy to avoid. This would allow me to run through the stage as fast as possible. I am not saying that I would have produced a better HF than the original poster, I am just saying how I would have done it to suit my strengths.

I also agree with the other comments on the starting position. I see it a lot where people will crowd the starting position to get 1/4inch closer than the next guy all the while they totally screw up their foot and body position. Then when the buzzer goes off they are reeling as they try to get going. I have started stages almost a foot back from the "normal" starting position because I could get a better launching stance to enter the stage. Being a few inches closer to entering the shooting area should not circumvent your ability to effectively get your body launched and in motion when the buzzer goes off.