Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700 Spare Parts?

Religious Shooter

I'm planning to hit a couple of "big" PR matches next year.

What kind of spare parts and tools should I buy for my Rem 700?

What breaks?

Posted your question in a forum elsewhere RS. Sent you a PM as well. Will get back to you as soon as I hear back from them. Nothing against anyone here, just trying to get all the input we can for RS.

Steve

If it's a newer 700, get couple extractors. I've had one break on an XP-100. Breaking a bolt stop? Someone really slams the bolt to the rear! That can be remedied by fitting a side mounted bolt stop. It looks a little funny, since it looks like a bolt sticking out of the side of the reciever. I've even seen just a socket head cap screw used as a bolt stop.

Ok, here is what I was told on the other site. This guy knows his stuff and has logged more rounds than I could ever hope to. So here is what he says:

I don't know of any Rem700 parts that have a history of breakage. The only part I have seen break, and this has been extremely rare, is the bolt handle. This isn't something that you'll be able to fix at a match.

Some good stuff to have:

Torque wrenches for his action bolts and rings/mounts. For most folks, this means 65 and 15 inch/pounds, but not everyone uses those specs.

Kleindorst bolt disassembly tool

Lens cleaning supplies http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/inde...showtopic=12735

General cleaning supplies and lube (oil and/or grease).

Hope this helps! Will post more as more ppl reply to my post. Most have said that nothing really ever has broken on them and that if it does it's major and you are more than likely out of the match at that point.

Steve

If it's a newer 700, get couple extractors. I've had one break on an XP-100. Breaking a bolt stop? Someone really slams the bolt to the rear! That can be remedied by fitting a side mounted bolt stop. It looks a little funny, since it looks like a bolt sticking out of the side of the reciever. I've even seen just a socket head cap screw used as a bolt stop.

Have seen this done to many rifles set up for target triggers... Works great.

I carry a bolt dissaembly tool. Mostly for cleaning. Have had ejectors go bad but you don't have to have a working ejector anyway. If the spring gums up wait till you get home to fix it. You can flick the case out with your finger. Always carry a cleaning rod. I never go to a match without a Chapman gunsmith screwdriver set. take anything apart with one. Loose screws are the most likely cause of trouble with a 700 or any other rifle.

Boats