Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What gear do you use at the range?

mjohns930

I've been playing the game for many many years and tried a lot of things... my current setup is

Bag: 5.11 EMT '24' backpack. I just got this and am using it at the World Shoot. it rocks. I used to use a SC bag and smaller versions thereof and those were good too. Chuck is awesome at support. I use his brass bags all the time for brass, ammo, bottles, whatever.

Eyes: Rudy's. So old they've been discontinued, broken twice (fixed once under warrantee, once for $20) and had 3 sets of Racing Red lenses. They're all I use in any light except dark-houses. I have a big head and pretty wide nose. Find a sponsored Rudy shooter and snag a discount code ;)

Ears: Either the passive Pro Ears or plain old Howard Leight orange foam plugs. Plugs are much cooler when it's hot. I never got much advantage out of the electronic ears and the batteries kept going dead on me.

Here is what I use:

Bag: Midway bag they had on sale for $25 last year. I came with an inner bag, 2 pistol rugs and a brass bag. Great bag for the price, but it is cumbersome. I leave the big bag in the truck and carry the smaller one from stage to stage. 5.11 sells a bag that looks identical, but sells for closer to $100.

Eyes: Oakley Half Jackets with about 4 different lenses - yellow, orange, gray mirrored and yellow mirrored.

Ears: Pro Ears Dimension I Clay's. They are a thinner profile and have a felt pad under the right earpiece.

Range Bag-- Depending on my mood, I run a Shooters Connection bag or a milk carton. The Shooters Connection bag offers lots of padding and pockets. The milk carton offers a lot of room.

Brass Bag--I use the brass bag that came with the Shooters Connection bag or a Zip Lock bag.

Hearing protection--I use MSA sordins

Eye protection-- I use Oakley XL-1

I recommend buying quality. I have had many shooting buddies who chastised me for going with MSA for hearing protection. However, three years later they have gone through three pairs of ears, and now have recently purchased some. They ended up spending 2x the amount of money that I did for hearing protection.

CAN YOU WEAR GLOVES TO SHOOT MATCH WITH,,STRONG HAND ,,WEAK HAND

Yes gloves are not part of the equipment (yet) so they can be remove/added like a shirt or long sleeve...

But unless it's freezing gloves won't be helping any...

Edited by dansy

SC Ultra Bag (the Tournament bag was just too honking big loaded up - its little brother wont let me carry around the extra junk I really don't need).

40 cal ammo in the black plastic 50 round 9mm trays that folks throw out after shooting factory - they hold the fortys well, and are smaller than commercial ammo boxes, and let me count up ammo easily. Those go into an ammo can or border shift bag, along with a couple empty zip locks for brass (My squad shares a Shell Sorter right after the match, so no sand or small rocks to worry about). Sometimes practice ammo or 9mm is brought loose in cardboard boxes.

Bolle Vigilantes for eye protection.

Custom molded plugs, occasionally topped by Pro Ears when ROing.

• 2 months later...

Bagmaster Bag that I have had for years

Bob Allen mesh Hull Bag for brass, Rolls up small and I can clip it to belt if need be.

Ammo in Small boxes.

Molded Ears from local Audiologist Double up with Peltors for Indoor Ranges

Randolph Rangers with 3 different colors and Sunbuster with 5 lenses. I am pretty fussy about my lenses mostly for Shotgun target sports, I haven't the different color lenses as important for handgun.

I carry three small plastic cases from car radio faceplates that I keep some bandaids, Long Q-Tips, Sharpies, Small Screwdriver, as well as Wilson Combat's Spring kit.

Bore Snake in a ziplock

Still have plenty of room for "Other Necessities" Advil, Bug Spray, Sunscreen, couple of bandanas, old rag, sweat shirt, etc.