Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting From The Other Side

You might even try 'mousing' on your computer with the left hand to exercise the brain/hand connection. Also eating with your left hand offers similar 'practice'. I do both even though I'm considered right-handed. And 'mousing' the computer with the left was a lot easier than I expected.

Great idea, SiG Lady, I would have never considered mousing with the off hand.

I guess I'll get out the off side holster and get to work.

I can shoot weak hand stages fine, but I am talking about drawing, reloading, the whole thing.

"... but I am talking about drawing, reloading, the whole thing."
Oh... well, now that IS serious...!!

Bill--

Mousing with the left hand may not ultimately improve shooting with that hand, but it does allow the brain to get used to using that hand for routine--if not intricate--deliberate movements and making them second nature.

[quoteBill--

Mousing with the left hand may not ultimately improve shooting with that hand, but it does allow the brain to get used to using that hand for routine--if not intricate--deliberate movements and making them second nature.[/color]

I hope so, my weak hand shooting is sloppy, LOL.

I recently purchased an old Ernie Hill left hand holster for $20 with the intent of learning to shoot well with my left hand. I plan to shoot it in IDPA matches over the winter. Anyway, what's helped my weak hand shooting the most is shooting 10 shot slow fire groups at 25 yards weak hand. In fact I can now shoot better groups weak hand that I can strong hand. But my weak hand shooting goes to hell when I have to do it fast.

I'm babbling, and adding to thread drift..... I recall Jack Barnes & Travis Tomasie shared some experiences regarding mastering weak hand a long time ago...

The body is bilateral and loves balance. Many right-handed folks also tend to lead with their right foot in many ways as well... But if you've ever danced for any length of time or taken dancing lessons over time you'll find that you need to develop as much expertise with the NON-dominant foot as the dominant one. It's an odd feeling at first but the sense of balanced coordination that comes later with practice is rewarding--and feels great. And your brain has grown a few more connections on the weak side to accommodate the need.

Then there's the REAL challenge to your non-dominant hand: Writing. Do that only if you really want to. ;)

In local league action we're occasionally asked to shoot weak hand specifically--either supported or (gasp) un-supported. I'd say practice as much as you like with your weak hand. It's probably not going to distract or disrupt the established skill you have with your strong hand and may add valuable, subtle coordination to your already established ability. :)