Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Bullets for IPSC/Steel

Jody Waring

Anyone have any good luck with shooting lead in the smaller caliber pistols(9mm,9x21,.38super) loaded to higher velocities? Any tricks in maintaning accuracy, and maybe what weight works the best? I know lead's dirtier, and smokier, but if you like to shoot alot, like I do, paying $75and up/1000 for jacketed bullets in Canada, for me lead is a cost efficient alternative.

when i used to shoot lead bullets, i made sure i had a really hard bullet. shooting lead in 38super at 175 pf i had to use a heavy bullet i.e. 135gr.  the new 165pf you can probably use 125gr. i suggest you use a molly coated bullet less smoke, less lead build up, and easier to clean.

practice on,

lynn jones

(Edited by lynn jones at 7:34 am on Nov. 26, 2002)

Jody,

Is there a reason why they are so expensive in Canada?

I shoot  Montana Gold 115g JHP. They are about 46/ M by the case.  On a good week, I'll get in 500 rounds for practice   so I have been in  search of the least expensive projectice possible. I have found some lead that is about $ 6/M cheaper but the smoke and lead is not worth it.

You might want to check them outand see what shipping to the Great White North would be.

http://www.montanagoldbullet.com

As for lead,  I really like the accuracy of these

http://www.dj-bullets.com/lead/lead.htm

but the savings is not that significant, for me.

(Edited by warpspeed at 10:42 am on Nov. 26, 2002)

i use lead for both major and minor 38 super loads (124 gr)...accurate but smokier...find a local source to save on shipping...i have tried teflon/moly coated bullets and found i got more leading with them than with straight lead...most probably due to the hardness (or lack thereof) of the lead...i pay 24/k for lead bullets compared to 40-45/k for jacketed...i am not saving any money...i am just shooting more... : )

If you are looking for lead without the smoke, you might check Precision Bullets (www.precisionbullets.com).  I have shot these for almost two years now and have found them to be very clean (in the bore and in the bullet seating die) and very consistent.  They have a moly-like coating over a lead bullet that really cuts the smoke (no external lube).  I know they are hard and work great for limited, but as far as open-velocities, I've never tried them.

WayneB

Thanks guys.In regards to the pricing, our dollar's worth about $0.63 to the US Dollar on average. Include shipping and taxes, it doesn't take long to add up. I've seen cans of VV3N37 and the like go for $38-$40 a can!

Back to the lead, I cast my own 125gr RN and load it with various powders:HS6, HS7, and I've got some old stock WAP which works well. I got some load data years ago from a guy in Europe. He built CZ raceguns chambered in 9mm major. He recommended heavy lead bullets(147-160gr) and Blue dot powder. I worked up a load with the 125's and other than the smoke, the Blue dot worked well, shot soft with minimum muzzle flip. My practice load is 8.0gr's with the 125 and WW small pist. Mag primers. Chrony's out around 155pf. Thanks again for your input!

warpspeed:

i get my lead bullets from "d & d bullets"...john harmon makes the bullets out of his shop in ontario...he usually shoots the steel challenge matches at piru and west end and action pistol and three gun matches at wegc...to save on shipping, hook up with him at a match...if you are interested, give him a call at 909-983-0296...tell him racer x sent you....

by the way, i have tried bear creek's teflon coated bullets in 9mm/.38 Super, .40 & .45 and found them not only less accurate but also leaded more...i have also tried bullets from precision bullets with the same results as the bear creek's...my suspicion is that bear creek and precision bullets are using straight lead without antimony or linotype to harden it...you get very little to no leading from the d & d bullets...what little leading you do get comes right out with a couple passes of a bore brush...the d & d bullets come with hard lube....buying bulk (10K) will save you a dollar off each K....good luck...