Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Svi For Ipsc?

twain23

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a stainless SVI .40 caliber for IPSC type shooting. I read that stainless is not recommended because can be very problematic. For example, it's not very porous so will not retain oil lubrication well, therefore will need alot of lubing.

Also slide to frame is TOO tight of a fit?

I admit I like stainless because it is a beautiful finish. The gun looks like the one in this picture with the accelerated flutes... but is stainless.

BTW- anyone have the gold barrel on their SVI? It's awesome looking.

Should I buy stainlessfor IPSC shooting or stick with a blued gun?

Thanks

olslide_350_350.jpg

I noticed one of Matt Burkett's gun for "cross competitor SVI" is stainless:

http://www.mattburkett.com/burkettcross.html

crosscomp.gif

I've owned quite a few stainless guns and have never had any problems to speak of. Stainless guns in my opinion, are better because you don't have to worry about the finish wearing off (same with hard chrome) As far as the slide/frame fit, whomever builds the gun determines if it is to be tight or loose, use your own better judgement when deciding on whether it is too tight or not. I use break-free, slide-glide and Castrol Syntech on all my guns and have never had a problem with them not staying lubricated, so I think that is a myth. I'd buy a stainless gun in a heartbeat, but I won't buy a blued gun because of the finish. Just my .02 cents, hope this helps. RTB

Ditto to what Rufus said.

I too have a SS SVI Competition, it is almos 3 years old now, about 25K round in it (OK, I know, I don't have too much time to practice), and never worried about finish being wiped out or lubrication problems.

The only minor modifications I applied to it were:

- An STI SS magwell (it is bigger, wider, heavier and definitely more handsome than the SVI counterpart).

- Filed the posterior wedge of left part of the ambi safety (I'm right handed), because it was really digging in my right hand.

If the one you showed is agood bargain, go for it: you'll definitely love it.

Plus, should you ever scratch its surface, a few strokes with really fine sandpaper will cure it. ;)

Hmm, I wanted to get a stainless frame and my smith that it is more porous and that it would look better and last longer to get a steel frame and have it hardchomed, and that's what I've done and I think that steel with a hardcrome finish IS the way to go. It cleans easy, looks nice and lasts forever.

Many thanks for all the replies. Rufus, I guess the part about stainless not holding oil is a "myth." That was a major concern because a more experienced IPSC shooter swears that I will have to "totally disassemble the gun all the time to lube it."

Also my friend said that I could not chrome plate it later if the finish starts wearing off. But I emailed Virgil Tripp of Tripp Research and he said, "Stainless steel will hard chrome plate just fine. Get it. Regards, Virgil." I guess Virgil would know about chrome plating. ;)

BTW- what is "galling" in stainless guns?

Many of the "stainless autopistol" stories are dacades old, but still seem to get told. Stainless alloys and the heat-treating thereof have been changed and improved over the years to the point that severe problems are pretty rare.

As long as you don't tighten the slide and frame like Jim Hoag, you'll be in pretty good shape.