Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling shots... with bad sight alignment?

lugnut

I've been really working at calling my shots... and within reason I can usually tell whether I'm shooting in the down zero or A zone at moderate distances- especially when I get good sight alignment and sight picture. However... when you don't get a good sight alignment and the shot breaks (example- the front sight is high or low in the rear sight notch) how is it possible to KNOW where your shot hit- other than just high or low as in this example? Of course the "error" is different at 25 feet as opposed to 75 feet. Is this just learned from experience? Thanks!

By continuously paying attention to and remebering the relationship of the sight alignment (when the shot broke) and where the bullet hit the target, you will get better and better at that over time.

But you can speed up that learning curve in practice by intentionally shooting shots with the sights misaligned, at different distances.

Try it on the head box, to see what you can "get away with" at various distances.

be

The way I use calling your shots and the way I think it is supposed to be used, is that it tells you when you are making mistakes, that is shooting where you don't want to. It may tell you that you hurried too much, had poor alignment and that the shot went to the left or ??? This means to me that I need to correct as I go along what I am doing wrong. There is a point, in my humble opinion, where, when the shot is far off, it does not matter where the shot went, you just know that you are not shooting where you want and this is your signal to recognize and correct the problem. So basically, it is an indicator of where you are shooting by watching the front sight, which is where your eyes should be anyway, not on the target looking for the holes.

Yep- knowing where it went without looking at where it went. You do this by know where your sights were when the gun goes bang.

Forgive the Noob question, but I'm guessing "Calling the shot" is recognizing where it went. Do you do this so you know you hit and can move on or you missed and need to keep shooting? Or is there more to it?

... Do you do this so you know you hit and can move on or you missed and need to keep shooting? ...

That's a major part of it, but seeing what the gun is doing, is so helpful beyond that.

Seeing the gun, is faster than seeing holes in the targets. Knowing with confidence, where the shot is, allows you to cleanly go to the next task, be it another shot, a reload, or whatever.

Edited by wide45