Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 9mm Magazines

Duane Thomas

OK I have a question, I am using the Tripp 10 round 9MM mags and they run 100% out of my Trojan with WWB or UMC 115 gr RND. I tried to use some of the Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP and on the 2nd round the bullet would slam into the feed ramp and not allow the round to go into battery a simple bump of the mag and tada it worked.

One of the guys suggested an EGW mag release to raise the lip up .020.

Does any one have experience with this set up?

I have about 6,000 MG 124 JHP that I am working on a load but want this to work with factory before going to a JHP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Has any one had any issues with this and the wilsons'?

Thanks,

John

Hello: Try a different recoil spring. Also look to see where the bullet is hitting the ramp. It should be at least halfway up the ramp. Also check the overall length of the 147's to see that they are not rubbing inside the mag tube. 38 super mags will solve that problem :rolleyes: Thanks, Eric

I've tried a JP mag catch in my 9mm 1911, and I found it made a big difference in feed reliability. Not familiar with the EGW, but the JP does require a fair amount of tweaking (metal removal) to get the "float" of the mag correct, so that it lifts mag and improves feeding by giving the round a more straightline feed into the chamber, but not so much that the feed lips rub on the underside of the slide. Once they're adjusted, though, the elevated mag catches work great.

I've tried a JP mag catch in my 9mm 1911, and I found it made a big difference in feed reliability. Not familiar with the EGW, but the JP does require a fair amount of tweaking (metal removal) to get the "float" of the mag correct, so that it lifts mag and improves feeding by giving the round a more straightline feed into the chamber, but not so much that the feed lips rub on the underside of the slide. Once they're adjusted, though, the elevated mag catches work great.

Thank you, I have ordered the mag release so I will give it a try.

The 147's were loaded a little long compared to the 115 UMC.

I will measure them and see what the difference is

I looked at where the bullet strikes and it is right at where the ramp and frame join. I had the feed ramp polished and it is still doing it. So I am hoping that the EGW mag button will work.

Thanks,

John

Hello: Try a different recoil spring. Also look to see where the bullet is hitting the ramp. It should be at least halfway up the ramp. Also check the overall length of the 147's to see that they are not rubbing inside the mag tube. 38 super mags will solve that problem :rolleyes: Thanks, Eric

When I tried some of the CM 38 super mags with 9 it ran fine, tried to jam 10 in and # 9 just nosed dived.

Sent them back to CM and got the tripps. They work with factory FMJ. but don't seem to like the AA 147 JHP.

So I am afraid that the 124 MG JHP will do the same thing (that is what I am planning on using for this load)

Read my lips!!!! Call Virgil Tripp!!!!!!

Hey--- I made a poem :lol:

I believe he has created 10 round 9 mm mags. from scratch and they work. My Springer has launched about 3K rounds of wwb ammo out of them with ZERO problems. I think he REALLY knows 1911s. A quick google may prove me right.

However.. if any of you guys are going to shoot Single Stack Minor or ESP in matches I attend... I highly suggest any form of Franken Mag that you can jam in your gun is by far the best possible choice.

Hey.......... maybe a .45 ACP mag with a green AR follower, and a spring from a Glock 21 mag will work :roflol:

Edited by MichiganShootist

Hello: I use the Precision 147's loaded to 1.140 so they fit a Glock or my 1911 or 2011. They feed great in all those pistols. I am using the Springfield/Metalform 9rd 9mm mags and also the Tripp 10 round 9mm mags with the metal follower. They feed fine in the 1911 I built for my son but he hasn't shot it yet :roflol: I would try to see what is happening with the rounds as they come out of the mags just by using your hands. If they tend to dive then check the feed lips and follower angle. Also check your ramp on the barrel to see how high up the rounds are hitting. Should hit very high up on the ramp. Other than that I don't know what to tell ya. Good luck. Thanks, Eric

Hi guys got the EGW this week, got it fit and used it in the match this past weekend. The gun will now eat anything that I throw in it. The 147 Atlanta Arms, 124 MG JHP, WWB, or UMC never missed a beat. So if any of you out there are having the same or similair issues try one them. I think all told it was 31.99 with shipping and 10.00 for my smith to fit it. Plus the mag button is about 1/8" longer than the stock mag button from STI.

Thanks Duane for the assist on this one.

John

I just got three of the 9mm Wilson Elite mags ... very nice .... I had to re-clearance my ejector for them. I loaded one up to capacity with the last round being a dummy loaded 115gr JHP and it hand cycled butter smooth in my old 1980's 9mm Govt .... Nice mags as I would of expected.

HH

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I recently purchased a used stainless Springfield M1911A1 Loaded in 9x19mm, and separately purchased several used Wilson Combat 10-rd ETM magazines. I have not had any reliability issues nor failures with this combination.

I just bought some of the Wilson mags myself. They have worked well so far after maybe 400 rounds in a STI Trojan 9MM. How do you get the follower out to clean them though? I took the spring out through the bottom and got the spacer out as well but the follower looks like it was put in before the bottom base plate tabs were folded in. I could not get it to come out, which made it hard to clean the sand out. Hopefully someone has got a clue so I will know what to do!! and I also noticed my magazine cleaning brush for a 45 magazine does not fit in the 9mm magazine. Is there a brush out there sized for the 9MM mags?

lowdown on the learning curve but not for long...

earl

To remove the follower from a 9mm ETM mag you have to sort of rotate it backwards through the gap between the bent in tabs at the bottom of the tube. If you can get the back of the follower out then you can rotate the rest out through this gap. Reverse the process to reinsert.

To clean the tubes I just use a piece of rag and shove it through with a wooden dowel.