Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer seating

Rolex

:wacko: I have been informed that you have to crush the Fed primer into place

for the loading of 45acp in the 625 revolver! Thats ok-however I was then informed

this can not be done on the xl650 press. What say one what say you all!

Howard is spot on, as usual! :)

For the guns set up around 5-6lbs people either resort to using a hand primer to "handseat" them or use a 1050 with the adjustable primer seater stem. With the mechanical lever of the 1050 you can adjust the depth of how far you push the primer into the pocket. Unless you have welding gloves on, I dont suggest crushing the primer with a handtool once you load the round.....I have heard that powder could migrate into the primer hole and then have a problem....

I am not aware of another press that has the adjustable primer mechanism. I know some people have talked about shimming up the 650 but I didnt have much luck when I had mine, and quite frankly sold mine as soon as I could when I saw a 1050 due to the priming system being so much better on the 1050.

Hope this helps!

DougC

The 625 has action job by Carmoney- just got all the products-

dies,and all for reloading. I guess that I'll have to load a few

then hit the range and try them! Hay Mike any comment's for

me! Thanks to all. Let you know! :cheers:

I'll tell you what Mike told me "use a hand primer or buy a 1050". Well he really didn't say I had to have a 1050 but he said that is what he used and recommended. Even with a hand primer I had some light strikes with Federal primers until I contacted RCBS and got some new internals for a 40 year old tool. Only misfire since was a piece of practice brass left over from semiauto days with a bunch of reloads & a dirty primer pocket.

:angry2: Well sounds/looks like if the 650 won't work,

I'll have quite a few goodies for sale-xmass in October!

A 625 that I havent fired,dies,2k heads,ect ect- No new

1050 here! See what happens next week! Thanks :wacko:

Take a big breath. Load up a bunch of Federal primers on the 650, adjust the strain screw so the gun goes bang everytime, and you will still have a superior gun to what is on the shelf. It is is the way to fly, and I think you will enjoy it when you get to the range.....

Good luck..... :cheers:

DougC

while I don't use a 650 I use a 550 to load 45 for revo. I have had good luck using Federal primers and checking cases to make sure the primer is seated just below the head of the case. Most of the time I can feel it with my finger or hold it on the corner of the charge bar to check for light.

Dan C

+1 on the 550 for my 625 and 627. I had the same light strike problems on my 650. So now revolvers on 550 and semi-auto pistols on 650. But I would still love a 1050.

You think the 1050 will drop in price like the stock market???????

yea right!

Bud

:angry2: Well sounds/looks like if the 650 won't work,

I'll have quite a few goodies for sale-xmass in October!

A 625 that I havent fired,dies,2k heads,ect ect- No new

1050 here! See what happens next week! Thanks :wacko:

I'll be a nice guy and take everything off your hands because I would still hand prime everything. I forgot to ask do you have a case feeder? Not a deal breaker if you don't have one.

Ok time for an adult beverage and let the keyboard cool off. I can understand the idea of a hand primer is less than ideal but it is a lot better than ruining a Carmoney trigger job. Anyway Mike cut down my strain screw so it is not just a matter of tightening it a little more. I see hand priming as a chance to inspect my brass for cracks that I might have missed depriming with the trusty Rockchucker and it doesn't even know that 9MM's are a tapered case. Between the 45 and 9MM I have procesed more than 10,000 my way this year.

YMMV :cheers: