Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made Kydex Holsters - you can do this!

photog

I had my Witness Limited fall right our of the CRSpeed WSMII holster that I was borrowing. Luckily it wasn't during a match and it was unloaded. After falling in the pumice we have around here, I couldn't move the slide or else get grit worked into the gun so it went back home and got washed and thoroughly cleaned. After that incident, I decided to look around for a holster that had better retention properties, and made me feel more safe. The only holster I could find was the Blade-Tech Kydex. So, I emailed them asking whether they had them in stock, and if they made the mag holders too. They never replied. Hey guys, if you are going to bother putting your email on your web site, you better check them and give replies!

SO after a little internet research, I decided to buy some Kydex and make my own rig. I spent about $80 with Knifekits.com, buying .093 sheets, TechLoks, and extra belt clips. They shipped right away.

After working with the Kydex for a couple hours doing practice molds, I have come to really like working with it. It's a lot like moldable plywood. All your woodworking tools will work great with it. I bought a used toaster over at the thrift store for $3, borrowed my wife's heat gun (she's an art teacher), and found some old packing foam from a wine shipment. The Dremel with a cut off blade was my main cutting tool, along with a couple bastard files, and some steel wool for finishing the edges. You probably have all those tools already.

A couple of hints: the more dense the foam in your press, the better. Use a heat gun to 'touch up' areas that didn't quite work out. make a paper template first, then cut your Kydex to size, leaving plenty of extra. If you don't like the way it came out of teh press, just put it back in the oven and mold it again.

Kydex is VERY COOL stuff. Granted, I'm a handy guy, and have been a mechanic for some 20 years, it really only takes basic wood/metalworking skills; think cutting using a Dremel, drilling holes with a hand drill, and using a hand file or sandpaper.

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Great place to start is here:

So the above is my first try at using Kydex. I have never made a holster before, out of any material. I made a few errors along the way, and had to adjust the TechLok to make it USPSA legal, but all in all it came out OK. I made 3 mag holders, each with a little different offset, so the fit me great. I still have plenty of material left, so Gen2 is on the way!

Edited by photog

You did a nice job on that holster. My only suggestion would be to get some Chicago Screws for it. It will make it look even better. Good job!! :cheers:

If I could find ny-lock Chicago screws I would use them! The problem is the Chicago screws will work their way loose and change the tension of the holster.

How do you get a mold of the firearm? do you simply wrap and press it between the folded kydex?

Wrap soft kydex around firearm, place in your press, hold till cool. Check out he video and it shows it in action.

That's some awesome info! I've been thinking about doing this lately, but couldn't find a good video. I could afford to screw up a lot of $10 sheets of kydex before I pay for a single decent holster.

Phudd, can you give me any details as to how did the front-sight channel on your 2011 holster?

Edited by Rob D

I slotted the end of a 1/4" dowel to fit over the front sight, then squished it into a channel cut in a board.

j1911e.jpg

Awesome! I can only guess that mag-holders are even easier to make. Thanks for your info on the sight channel too, Flex. Time to get out the heat gun and see what happens. I'm sure my first one will be a frankenholster, but it's not going to make my glock look any uglier.

• 2 weeks later...