Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tikka T3 Lite 308

vrod2011

Just looking for some first hand information. A group of us are considering using them as scout rifles with something like the Leupold Mark 4 1.5x5x20 M2 scope. 5 Round magazines are a little expense, and from the looks, they are very customizable. But, we intend to use them as lightweight scout rifles.

Good or bad, please share. We haven't bought one yet, but I have about 8 friends who are all about to buy them at the same time.

Hello,

one friend of mine have the TikkaT3 Lite Stainless .308win, with a Leup. Mark4 lrt 4,5-14X50 M1 Tmr.

His groups are amazing ! he use this rifle for mountain hunting to Roe-deer, Hogs, ecc.

Sometimes, here in Italy there are Competitions for Hunters-category, where you can shoot to 200 mt. 5 shots in a fixed time (10 minutes), he always stay in 18-20 mm. with 5 rounds (it's about 0.35 moa).

The thing i want to tell you, is the rifle it's "out of stock" conditions, without any work by a gun-smith, he prefer Sierra MK167 grs. (for shooting), and Nosler Ballistic-Tip 125grs. - 165grs. for hunting.

The thing i want to tell you, is the rifle it's "out of stock" conditions, without any work by a gun-smith, he prefer Sierra MK167 grs. (for shooting), and Nosler Ballistic-Tip 125grs. - 165grs. for hunting.

Are you saying that the gun needs to go to a gunsmith to have this sort of performance? Or are you saying that it is hard to find a gunsmith to work on it because it is not as customizable as the Remington 700?

Thanks for the reply, and the suggestions on the loads to use.

There have been guite a few of these guns thur Triangle. The only gunsmithing has been the instalation of a muzzle break, most of these have been the short mags. All of them have preformed very well right out of the box, generaly shoot a inch or better, sometimes much better. Thats very good for a 6 1/2 lb short mag. Its been just turn the trigger adjusting screw, mount the glass and go shooting.---------Larry

Are you saying that the gun needs to go to a gunsmith to have this sort of performance? Or are you saying that it is hard to find a gunsmith to work on it because it is not as customizable as the Remington 700?

Thanks for the reply, and the suggestions on the loads to use.

No, no .... (excuse me for my very bad english .... i can't explain well), the rifle go very well without any work by a gunsmith.

I am saying you can take the Tikka out from the gun-shop, put the scope and go shooting .... and you will be surprised how easy it's to make very small groups ! .... you don't need to go to your gunsmith

• 5 weeks later...

An update for those who are interested.

My Pastor ended up buying the T3 Lite Blued, and we put a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 Illuminated Reticle with Leupold bases and 30mm rings. After we put a Comb Riser, probably Beartooth, he will have just under $1000 in the entire package. We've done a little shooting with it so far, and have been very impressed.

This should make a very good Scout rifle. We will likely end up putting together several more of these packages while these scopes remain on sale.

We've got two of the T3"s in .308 and one in .270 and they have been perfect - my kids have taken a variety of big game with them. I have the .308 Sako, can't remember the model, but it's very similar to the Tikka with a fancier stock [rubberized gripping surfaces]. All have very nice triggers right out of the box.

Where is the Leupold VXIII on sale?

An update for those who are interested.

My Pastor ended up buying the T3 Lite Blued, and we put a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 Illuminated Reticle with Leupold bases and 30mm rings. After we put a Comb Riser, probably Beartooth, he will have just under $1000 in the entire package. We've done a little shooting with it so far, and have been very impressed.

This should make a very good Scout rifle. We will likely end up putting together several more of these packages while these scopes remain on sale.

I had mixed results with the Tikka T3 Varmint 308 I owned. It was absolutely the smoothest operating bolt I've ever used. Very accurate also. But, the trigger that was supposed to be adjustable from 1.5 to 5.5 lbs was actually adjustable from about 10.5 lbs to 6.5 lbs. (Yes, I measured it.) The importer, Beretta USA, had the worst customer service I've ever encountered. I ended up selling it in frustration. Maybe if I could speak Finnish I could have dealt directly with Tikka or Sako. All the other Tikkas I've handled had excellent triggers.