Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking steering wheels

AzShooter

Well, I got up early to go to the montly ICORE match at Rio today, a nice 75 mile drive so I decided to leave early. I always stop at QT to fill up on gas, coffee and get a sandwich for later in the day. Helps me with my loss of energy.

Well things are going fine so far... I get my coffee put everything in the car and get ready to go.

The car won't start. The alarm goes off and I'm now the center of attention.

I turn the alarm off, try to start the car again but nothing happens. I can't budge the steering wheel which has solved the problem in the past. I'm a big guy and really am pushing the wheel hard to the left to try to get the car to work. It's helped before...

So I call my bud and ask if he has any advice. " Wait 15 minutes and the car should start. It's the computer in the car," he tells me.

15 minutes later, nothing. I call my roommate and ask her for another key thinking that may help. I'm 6 miles from the house so I don't think I'm imposing. After waiting another 1 hour I'm at least enjoying wathing all the pretty women going into the store. I love Sundays, they seem to dress up more.

I finally call AAA and tell them my problem. They will be there in an hour. More coffee. A newspaper and more pretty women.

Roommate finally calls. She's lost. How she got lost going 6 miles on the most popular road we use confuses me but now I know she and the AAA guy are on their way. :cheers:

AAA guy get in car. Jams the steering wheel with all his might clockwise DUH!!! and starts the car. :angry2:

Well now I'm too late for Rio so I figure I may go to the other match in town that's closer. I can make it there by their deadline in 1/2 hour. Roommate takes another hour to find me. She's lost. I love her but she has moments when she forgets where she's at. I have moments where I forget my name so we are compatible.

So, no shooting today. I get home around noon after starting out at 6:30. Turn my Lee melting pot and proceed to cast 500 beautiful bullets for the next match I get to go to.

At least I learned how to get the car unstuck. But why do they make it so difficult?

Thanks for letting me vent.

I feel your pain but at least yours was a mechanical lock via the key. C5 Corvettes use a Solenoid to lock the wheel as the key is in the dash. It's known for doing various fun things such as: Not unlocking under any load (weak), Not unlocking period (dead), slipping into position randomly (rare), and unlocking SLOWLY. Slowly is the best one as it makes the computer think something has been tampered with and suddenly the fuel cuts out at anything above 5 mph (this one is really fun)... Leave it to GM to take something stupid (streering wheel locks) and make it worse...

But they make it great to repo/tow a RWD vehicle. Ask me how I know ;)

+1 Having to stop and rearrange the "seatbelt locked and twisted and wrapped through the steering wheel" steering wheel lock sucks.

Sorry for the rebuttal - as a mechanic I had to :D

Well, I got up early to go to the montly ICORE match at Rio today, a nice 75 mile drive so I decided to leave early. I always stop at QT to fill up on gas, coffee and get a sandwich for later in the day. Helps me with my loss of energy.

Well things are going fine so far... I get my coffee put everything in the car and get ready to go.

The car won't start. The alarm goes off and I'm now the center of attention.

I turn the alarm off, try to start the car again but nothing happens. I can't budge the steering wheel which has solved the problem in the past. I'm a big guy and really am pushing the wheel hard to the left to try to get the car to work. It's helped before...

So I call my bud and ask if he has any advice. " Wait 15 minutes and the car should start. It's the computer in the car," he tells me.

15 minutes later, nothing. I call my roommate and ask her for another key thinking that may help. I'm 6 miles from the house so I don't think I'm imposing. After waiting another 1 hour I'm at least enjoying wathing all the pretty women going into the store. I love Sundays, they seem to dress up more.

I finally call AAA and tell them my problem. They will be there in an hour. More coffee. A newspaper and more pretty women.

Roommate finally calls. She's lost. How she got lost going 6 miles on the most popular road we use confuses me but now I know she and the AAA guy are on their way. :cheers:

AAA guy get in car. Jams the steering wheel with all his might clockwise DUH!!! and starts the car. :angry2:

Well now I'm too late for Rio so I figure I may go to the other match in town that's closer. I can make it there by their deadline in 1/2 hour. Roommate takes another hour to find me. She's lost. I love her but she has moments when she forgets where she's at. I have moments where I forget my name so we are compatible.

So, no shooting today. I get home around noon after starting out at 6:30. Turn my Lee melting pot and proceed to cast 500 beautiful bullets for the next match I get to go to.

At least I learned how to get the car unstuck. But why do they make it so difficult?

Thanks for letting me vent.

I have to admire your attitiude. I had a good laugh because it reminded me of mine. When life throws you lemons, yada yada yada. ;)