Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking the correct recoil spring in a G34

lugnut

I recently changed my G34 recoil spring to a 15lb from the stock 17lb. I thought I liked it a bit more so I practiced a bit more and shot it at the CT IDPA match this past weekend. I was surprised that I was shooting high in a few stages. Like one shot down zero with the other high in down zero or just above. If anything I tend to push shots low when shooting fast (although I'm getting better at this) so this was a complete surprise. I know I should be calling shots now but the differences are subtle at the front sight. So today I went to the range and tooks some shots in the berm... with the 15lb spring and then the 17lb spring. Well, well, well... wouldn't you know it- the gun settled on target with the 17lb spring... not so much with the 15lber. Damn! I am using reloads that are about 135-140 PF so they might be a tad lighter than factory ammo.

I'll stick with the stock spring for now. Does it make sense to try the 15lb spring for a longer period of time? My gut tells me it's not worth it... most of the improvements aren't going to come from the gun but from me. Anyone else see similar things? Specifically with a Glock?

You have the timing of the 17lbs spring down. When you change springs the timing will also change. I went to the lighter recoil spring in all my guns for the reason of dampening the slide slamming foward and pushing the sight down. It took a litle while to get use to the different recoil impulse but it was faster shot to shot once I got the timing. You may want to try it again and put yourself on a timer once you are use to the spring

I use a 13# spring with my G34 and loads in your range of PF (147 gr). Like how the gun feels, but as you found out, with any change it takes some adjustments to timing...the key is that with the adjustments you shoot better than you did before.

I prefer the feel of my gun with the lighter springs and have been shooting that way for a while. YMMV.

Flex's suggestion on the timing drills is a good one, especially if you have your doubts.

Curtis