Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training leading up to a Big Match

KalaniLaker

Hello Everybody.

I will be competing in the Desert Classic Area 2 Championship in November.

Up til now, I have been dryfiring using Steve Anderson's books 3 or 4 times a week. I also usually hit a steel match on Tuesdays and try and do some livefire on Saturdays.

I was just wondering if anyone might have a training schedule or routine they use before a major? I thought I saw one once which was offered by Matt Burkett.

Also, would it be advantageous to hit all the weekend matches leading up to the big match? This would take away from my one live fire range session per week.

Thanks.

YOU may want to try to skip the live fire and make a few extra matches because you practice the elements to shoot matches, but you have to be able to shoot the entire match. I hope you get my drift.

In other words, since you are now going to a major match you need to get some "match" experience to go along with all the practice. (I like that explanation better)

Good luck, have fun.

Hopalong

YOU may want to try to skip the live fire and make a few extra matches because you practice the elements to shoot matches, but you have to be able to shoot the entire match. I hope you get my drift.

In other words, since you are now going to a major match you need to get some "match" experience to go along with all the practice. (I like that explanation better)

Good luck, have fun.

Hopalong

If you have the resources (time,money,ammo), dryfire everyday during the week, live fire sat on your weak points. Shoot the match on sunday and remember what you need work on. Work on those issues in dryfire/live fire/ repeat. That is what I would do. I don't have the money for unlimited ammo so I mostly dry fire during the week, Maybe fire 50-100 rounds live fire on a issue and shoot the sunday match. The best matches are the ones you can run twice. Say you shoot production, sign up for production and limited 10. Shoot limited, then shoot limited and open. That way you usually get 8-10 stages and that will simulate the drain of a major match.

...Also, would it be advantageous to hit all the weekend matches leading up to the big match? This would take away from my one live fire range session per week.

Thanks.

Keep with the dry firing, and increase your practice sessions.

Take in one (maybe two) club match(es) a month (the best/most challenging one).

You can control the types of shooting tests/skills you work on in practice - at a club match, that's controlled by the MD (some may be great, some not).

You can get more reps in a practice session of things that you feel need the most work.

Make your practice sessions more like matches.

Crank up the intensity in practice, possibly add a training partner, really push yourself.

Use short drills (5-10 rounds) of arrays that you have seen or expect to see in a match.

I think you get more 'bang for your buck' in practice than in club matches.

If you've got time to do both, go for it. If not, practice, then club matches is the priority.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will be alternating the weekend shooting between live fire practice and matches. Every Tuesday I will be shooting the weekly steel matches. Of course, I am dryfiring every night I don't shoot.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I agree that sometimes my mind starts to race after I hear the timer. I think that's one of my biggest problems right now. When I just move smoothly and shoot the front sight, everything just falls in place and I end up with a decent score.

Thanks again.