Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cyclists pedal into arms of the law

pmd

Over the last few months I have had confrontations with several Cyclists with bad attitudes.

With the high gas prices, the amount of cyclists in the Boston/Cambridge area has grown.

Most of the streets are tight - but many now have bike lanes.

Some (the minority) think they own the roads and that they can ride how they please - driving down the midlle of the road and blocking traffic, shooting thru stop signs and red lights, the list goes on.

Twice in the past month I had close calls where the rider shot thru red lights and I had to slam on the brakes - when I honked all I got was a middle finger for a response (attitude).

I ride a bike from time to time - but I obey the rules of the road + I don't want to get slammed by a car.

Looks like Cambridge MA is staring to crack down - which I like...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...rms_of_the_law/

Out cycling with the Bro-In-Law last weekend. Came to a stop sign and I stopped and he blew through it. Neither of us saw the cop parked on the side street. He got the ticket and I kept on going. :roflol:

Best part is how he was looking at me like I was an idiot for stopping as there was no traffic approaching. I still am chuckling about it. :D

Being that I live in Austin, TX, we have a lot of Lance Armstrong wannabes out here... and a bunch of them come and ride out on my side of town, because the hills are far more gentle than the hill country on the west side. I can't count the number of times I've come up to the stop sign in front of my neighborhood, stopped, started to move again, and then have a bike (or group of them) blow through the stop sign from the other direction, causing me to have to slam on the brakes. Horning them results in harsh language or gestures from them. The most positive response I've received to date is shrugged shoulders (as if to say, "Whatcha gonna do, buddy?"). Wouldn't he be surprised if I ran his ass over, and the cop gives him the ticket for running the stop sign? I literally have yet to see a bike stop for that stop sign.

Yet all we hear around here is how cars need to make space for bikes on the road, and we need to be aware of bikes on the road, and that they have a right to be on the road... The bike advocates drive me nuts with that crap. You're required to follow the rules of the road if you want to be on it. Start doing that, and I might have some sympathy. Otherwise... I'd LOVE to see more tickets written to these turkeys out my way... <_<

I lived in boston in my early 20s, fresh out of college. I live on the hill and rode over the salt and pepper bridge every day -- too hard to park a car, so I rode everywhere. I damn near got killed every day.... and I thought by virtue of being on a bike I had some intrinsic right of way. Good way to get a trip to MGH.

Now, 15 years later, I HATE guys that ride like I did. And its the attitude that's the worst.... like by climbing their Patchouli stinking rear on a bike makes them holy.