Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame Registration

pcschwenke

What is with our police? This is the 3rd gun I've built my self and they will not register the frame without being comletely put together!!! It is really starting to tick me off. They have no idea that it is still considered a handgun do to the serial number on it and my permit to purchase from the dealer. What a bunch of bumbling idiots in our county. I practically begging to have them register a frame and they still won't do it. :angry: Anyone else have the same problem?

Frustrated.

Paul Schwenke

Build your own frames? Me too. We are not required to "register" here in the US although some states have gotten away with this. Are you in the US? If so, where??!? Check out www.roderuscustom.tzo.com. So far I have done AR-15s and am working on the Sig 228 & AR-10. My own 1911 is in the future at some point too, $$$ permitting. Asking permission to buy a gun from an FFL & registration are both unconstitutional bull. Building the actual frame or receiver yourself from raw materials is a much better way to go. Have fun. DVC!

No, I'm not building my own frames. This is a Caspian 1911 frame which they will not register. What bull. I printed information off the ATF website to bring down to the sheriff office to prove that they do indeed have to follow and register the frame. Also, a thompson contender is the same type of deal. They have to register the frame because it can be several different calibers. Awrg!!!!

Paul

I live in Charlevoix, Michigan. Each time I've built my own gun from parts the story from them is the same. They have no idea that they are committing a felony by not registering a frame that has a serial number. Paul

I'll add one of my Michigan hate rants. I was going to school at MSU living in married housing. A gun show was coming to town. At that time you needed a purchase permit (with the waiting period)to buy a pistol. I go to the campus Police Station and request a permit to purchase.

Ditzy clerk: Why do you want the permit?

Me: So I can buy a pistol if I see any good deals.

What kind of pistol is it?

I don't know yet.

Well we have to know what kind of gun it is.

No you don't.

But what if the Chief doesn't like the kind of pistol you want to buy?

Too bad. He doesn't get to make that call.

There's no need to be rude, sir.

I wasn't intending to be rude. I was trying to convey that the cops can approve whether I am eligible to purchase a pistol, but there is no law that says they can dictate what type of pistol I can purchase.

I think you were being rude.

Where is your supervisor?

This went on for a while. Finally got the permit. About popped a gasket, though. Long live Wyoming!

The atf paper stated that all frames have to be dealt with as complete firearms. Our state requires that handguns must be registered for proof that the gun your carrying is the same and has the correct serial number as the registration card in your wallet. If not you go to jail free. As far as I know all handguns must be registered in the U.S. in some form or another. That is why handguns and frames must be shipped to FFL holders. Paul

I can only comment on the two states I have lived in but neither TN nor AZ require that you register your handguns. If you buy from a dealer you have to fill out the required ATF forms but if you buy a gun from someone else you don't have to do a thing to register it. I know guys who are perfectly law abiding citizens who will go without a gun until they can buy it from a private party. The ATF paperwork just makes their blood boil and legally subverting it makes their day.

-ld

As far as I know all handguns must be registered in the U.S. in some form or another. That is why handguns and frames must be shipped to FFL holders.

Absolutely not.

Handguns must be transferred to you by an in-state FFL because of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA'68). See http://www.gunowners.com/AppendixC.htm for some references.

There is no federal law for gun "registration" in the US. Most states do not have registration (in the way your car is registered).

-z

I realize most states may have different rules as how a handgun is transferred in the U.S. Michigan however, all handguns must be registered for some reason and a frame is considered a handgun in the ATF's rules. Don't have the section or verse at the office. After showing the department yesterday the ATF info and had them call the state, they did finally issue me a registration for the frame. In our state it is a 5 year felony if a handgun/frame is not registered. The policed didn't know it but, I did. Now they learned something about there job. Paul

Glad to hear about the different states rules. Wish we didn't have to go through hoops!

"As far as I know all handguns must be registered in the U.S. in some form or another. That is why handguns and frames must be shipped to FFL holders. Paul "

Zak is right on this. There is NO federal registration requirement. There may be some state registration schemes and you are stuck following those if you live in such a state. I do not break any laws, state or federal. I make my own guns, including handguns. I don't ask permission & I don't register them with anyone becuase I don't have to - that's not the federal law nor is it so in Va. Again, I don't break any laws & I also do not put serial numbers on my guns when I make them. That's right - NO serial number is required when an individual makes a firearm with the intent to retain it for his own personal use. I have taken to stamping some random number on my guns because too many law enforement officers are ignorant of the laws they are supposedly charged with upholding. This is not news & if you want more information, check out the link I posted above. There is also info. on the ATF website.

Sorry for those of you who live in Michigan. I do hope that things change for the better up there; I occasionally worked in an officein Detroit over a 2 year period. There would appear to be a great need for Michigan residents to have ready access to the means to protect themselves.

Carlos,

I've checked out the site. Thanks. I've thought about making my own frames and slides. I've got the equipment at work and would be no problem. Just takes time. Hard time finding time to build my newest gun. Paul.

I hear you! Right now I have way too many (shooting) irons in the fire, so to speak. Lotsa 1/2 finished projects laying around. I envy the fact that you have access to machine tools at work; living in a condo & working in an office means I only get to work on stuff during friends spare time. Now that the shooting season is in full swing, I spend what free time I have practicing, going to matches or reloading. BTW, what will be the final configuration of your new blaster? DVC!

D.C. Johnson

TY44934

My new blaster will be a Caspian s.s. barstock frame and long slide with a Schuemann AET bull barrel in 38 super. Koenig hammer and all the other goodies. Sights will be Aristocrat 3 position for shooting PPC and bullseye. Shouldn't recoil much with light loads. Haven't fit the barrel yet, but the gun is much heavier than I expected.

Paul Schwenke