Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I may be late getting to work tomorrow.

Former President Coming To Georgetown

Former President George Herbert Walker Bush will be in Georgetown in September to dedicate a facility named in his honor. Mr. Bush serves on an advisory board for Georgetown College and has agreed to come accept the honor in person. The Scott County Airport is nearby in case he wants to take in some skydiving while there… although that’s fairly unlikely. He always seemed very decent on TV and in person. We interviewed him in London, KY during his 1988 bid for the White House and covered him the night before he lost his re-election effort in Louisville in 1992.

Think I should throw the MP5 in the car tomorrow? Just joking. Imagine Secret Service stopping me and seeing it. I have to drive right by the airport. This is a really small town and I have to drive by the college. I imagine the town will be at a standstill.

In the late 90s, the then president came into northern NJ for a fundraiser. The NJ Turnpike was shut down for miles in each direction, as was the Newark airport, and most local roads for several hours. Needless to say, not many people were happy.

President Clinton visited here right after the Thurston High School shootings and the main roads from the high school to the airport (which entails just about every major local access highway) pretty much shut down. I was hiding at the airport where the background action was anyway (Air Force One is huge!), and once the plane left, the highways were fine. I never felt a thing. But people DID bitch a bit after the fact about the highway closures--especially if they had no interest in what was going on during this time or had no idea what was going on. Like, what did they expect...? <_<