Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Limited Sear Spring

bobobooie

When lifting the sear spring arm up to the take-down notch, the arm broke off. I called Henning and just now received the replacement. Very fast shipment, by the way. So now the frustration starts.

I have watched Henning's video 10-12 times. I have a very powerful magnifier/light combo and can see exactly how it fits. But how do you get that sucker in there. Maybe my fingers are way too big for this little stuff. Can anyone point me towards a simple method. It does not just drop in and apply a little pressure with your index finger. Should the sear be open or closed against the housing? Does that matter? Has anyone got a large close-up photo that could help? I'm holding it the way Henning does in his video, but my fingers are in the way so I had to alter the grip a bit. Arghhhhhhh. Thanks.

Paul

When lifting the sear spring arm up to the take-down notch, the arm broke off. I called Henning and just now received the replacement. Very fast shipment, by the way. So now the frustration starts.

I have watched Henning's video 10-12 times. I have a very powerful magnifier/light combo and can see exactly how it fits. But how do you get that sucker in there. Maybe my fingers are way too big for this little stuff. Can anyone point me towards a simple method. It does not just drop in and apply a little pressure with your index finger. Should the sear be open or closed against the housing? Does that matter? Has anyone got a large close-up photo that could help? I'm holding it the way Henning does in his video, but my fingers are in the way so I had to alter the grip a bit. Arghhhhhhh. Thanks.

Paul

Align the sear in the cage and just start the pin into the hole on the left side (ejector facing away from you, seen from top view) so it holds the sear in place. Lay the spring in place inside the sear so that the long end is in the slot and the short end is captured against the inside edge of the sear. Holding everything together so the spring doesn't pop out and shoot across the room and disappear down the sump pump (don't ask), carefully push the spring down, compressing it into its slot so that you can push a slave pin in from the right side to capture the spring. I use a 1/8th pin punch as a slave. Once captured, you should be able to turn the whole unit on its side and press the pin down against your table top to run it in through the spring coil and out the other side and into the cage as the slave pin is pushed out ahead of it. You will have to guide the slave pin somewhat as you do this in order to feed the sear pin through the spring coil without hanging up. It's sort of a feel thing, but once you do it a few times it only takes a few seconds.

Good luck.

Paul

Lay the spring in place inside the sear so that the long end is in the slot and the short end is captured against the inside edge of the sear.

Good luck.

The short end keeps popping under the ledge. Arghhhhhh. Thanks. I'll keep at it.

Paul

Lay the spring in place inside the sear so that the long end is in the slot and the short end is captured against the inside edge of the sear.

Good luck.

The short end keeps popping under the ledge. Arghhhhhh. Thanks. I'll keep at it.

Some of those springs are a little shorter than others and can be a real pain. Try and just gently press it down a little to start it and then "finesse" the slave pin in there to just catch the edge of the spring. If it helps, use a smaller diameter pin to give you a little wiggle room; you won't have to push the spring down quite so far that way. Once caught, you should be able to hold the spring in place against the sear edge by using a little leverage pressure with the slave pin. As I say though; it's a bit of a feel thing.

Paul

Good luck.

Some of those springs are a little shorter than others and can be a real pain. Try and just gently press it down a little to start it and then "finesse" the slave pin in there to just catch the edge of the spring. If it helps, use a smaller diameter pin to give you a little wiggle room; you won't have to push the spring down quite so far that way. Once caught, you should be able to hold the spring in place against the sear edge by using a little leverage pressure with the slave pin. As I say though; it's a bit of a feel thing.

WILL IT HELP TO BUILT A SHOE BOX or a clear plastic box TO ASSEMBLE TH GUN IN? THIS WAY YOU WONT LOOSE PARTS.

WILL IT HELP TO BUILT A SHOE BOX or a clear plastic box TO ASSEMBLE TH GUN IN? THIS WAY YOU WONT LOOSE PARTS.

Not in my case. I break stuff, not lose em. Still can't get this little bugger though. Frustrating to say the least. It's like a combination of my fingers are too big and/or I need more of them. I'll tackle it again tomorrow. It ain't working for me tonight.