Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl 650 Powder Throw Consistency

I recently loaded some 270 workup rounds on my 650. The first round out of the box, was badly overcharged. It flatened out the primer, so bad, that it had to be pryed of of the firing pin. Unfortunately, the gun was tore up, but no one was hurt.

I have made thousands and thousands on rounds on this machine, and have never had a problem. Backtracking my steps, I can't think of anything that I did wrong, (although I'm not counting that out).

I took the rest of the rounds apart, and they were all perfect.

Has any one ever had a problem such as this, and can anyone shed some light on what may have went wrong, or what I may have did wrong?

When you converted your machine to .270, did you use the same powder measure, or did you dedicate a

separate measure to .270? If the same measure, what caliber were you loading previously? It could be that

you didn't get all of the previous powder out of the measure, and if it was a faster burning powder, that

would cause the problem you described. Otherwise, where did you load data come from?If bullets were seated

out too far, or too deep, you can cause pressure problems. It is extremely unlikely to drop any kind of

overcharge in a .270, as the powder bar is almost completely opened for charges of that weight. A few tenths

of a grain will not cause an overload, unless the load is already excessive. Possibility is having grabbed the

wrong powder accidently. More info will help narrow down the cause. :unsure:

I recently loaded some 270 workup rounds on my 650. The first round out of the box, was badly overcharged. It flatened out the primer, so bad, that it had to be pryed of of the firing pin. Unfortunately, the gun was tore up, but no one was hurt.

I have made thousands and thousands on rounds on this machine, and have never had a problem. Backtracking my steps, I can't think of anything that I did wrong, (although I'm not counting that out).

I took the rest of the rounds apart, and they were all perfect.

Has any one ever had a problem such as this, and can anyone shed some light on what may have went wrong, or what I may have did wrong?

I has always found the first round of a reloading session to be a larger charge than what is set. That has been with VV and Ramshot powders. All I do is put a sized but not capped case in just before the primers get to the primer punch (7 pulls of the 650 at a clean start, I think) and dump that powder. With N340, the first charge seems to be about ~.2 gr high. I guess the stuff in the measure compresses some when sitting.

Later,

Chuck

I was taught to throw your first 4 pwdr throws back into the hopper as they are almost always high!

With the powders mentioned above, I have checked and it seems to converge on the set load after one case. I guess doing a few more won't hurt.

Later,

Chuck