Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping primed brass?

I need to sell some brass in preperation for a family interstate move. Some of the .40 S&W is primed, can I ship it via regular USPS or does it need to go UPS and/or ORMD?

Leam

Do not send it by mail.

UPS- ORMD should be fine . I would say call them but you can talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. Ammo is ORMD. Powder & primers alone is HAZMAT and you cannot ship those without a hazmat account with UPS. i would consider the primed brass in the same category as ammo.

Good news is: if the brass is NOT primed, you can send it regular mail, and the postal service "flat-rate box" is a real deal at about $9. I know that about 1800 to 2000 once fired .45 cases fit in one well-packed box and should sell for over $100 easy.

I need to sell some brass in preperation for a family interstate move. Some of the .40 S&W is primed, can I ship it via regular USPS or does it need to go UPS and/or ORMD?

Leam

Do not send it by mail.

UPS- ORMD should be fine . I would say call them but you can talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. Ammo is ORMD. Powder & primers alone is HAZMAT and you cannot ship those without a hazmat account with UPS. i would consider the primed brass in the same category as ammo.

Leam

Do not send it by mail.

Ship it in ammo boxes, not in a bulk bag or box. That would not be as bad, but it would be close to dumping primers into a common bin. The hazard is sypathetic detonation.

I've seen places online sell primed brass with no extra charge for hazmat or anything like that. I suggest checking around to see what they are doing. I would call Midway usa to see what they have to do. Just ask them, I'm sure they would tell you how they ship or what extra precautions they take. I know I've read you can ship it with no special consideration but I can't remember where.

MLM