Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring question

prreed10

now once you are classified as MM and get bumped on your 1st and 2nd and 3rd match,,then while at master,then try another division as MM,then yes you would be a grandbagger

Wouldn't that be "sandbagger"? A grandbagger is a person looking for a classification above their true ability level, not below.

now once you are classified as MM and get bumped on your 1st and 2nd and 3rd match,,then while at master,then try another division as MM,then yes you would be a grandbagger

Wouldn't that be "sandbagger"? A grandbagger is a person looking for a classification above their true ability level, not below.

Either way that would be BS in my eyes. You can't tell me someone that made Master could be classified in that year as anything less than Expert maybe SS.

Basing someones classification on one classifier shot once a year?

Not a good idea.

My son and I went to a match recently where a good shooter had a real bad day with weapons/ammo problems causing him to un- jam his weapon a few times.

If you based his classification on that one time he would come out lower than he should because hes a much better competitor than that one time.

Anyone can have a really good day at the range as well as a bad day.

Winning by 20 seconds is not (IMHO) evidence of this person "sandbagging".

JK

where's a TSA officer when you need one...sorry bout that...i got my baggage messed up :roflol:

Edited by GmanCdp

Basing someones classification on one classifier shot once a year?

Not a good idea.

My son and I went to a match recently where a good shooter had a real bad day with weapons/ammo problems causing him to un- jam his weapon a few times.

If you based his classification on that one time he would come out lower than he should because hes a much better competitor than that one time.

Anyone can have a really good day at the range as well as a bad day.

Winning by 20 seconds is not (IMHO) evidence of this person "sandbagging".

JK

You are required to classify once per year, you can do it as many times as you want. I shot the classifier two times last year since it was my first year shooting IDPA. I used it to gauge my improvments and my techniques but never practiced the classifier. Shot the first one barely SS, 6 months later was 2 sec under Expert, 3 months later got bumped to EX at Texas State.

I can See a 20 second difference between first and last or even more than that as a spread, but, that much time between 1st and 2nd? You can only do it once....

I just went back and looked at the TX state scores, I won SS by 13 seconds. I felt going into it that I was sandbagging but not purposely. In the prior two sanct matches I was 2nd and 2nd. I felt I was in the right spot. Now its time to fight my way up the expert chain.

Edited by salilus