Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training With Timers???

PistolPete

When I use my timer indoors, I just put one small piece of masking tape over the microphone part of the timer. One piece works at our covered outdoor range, too. If it still echos, I add pieces till it records one-for-one.

It helps to NOT point the mic downrange at the bullet trap. I point mine straight up: laying on the table next to my ammo & stuff. Outside, clipped to my back pocket.

Also helps to choose a time to practice when the range is nearly empty of shooters. This will be good for your focus anyway.

Practice methodically and challenge yourself. I've had more than one guy comment, "You practice like you're about to go to a war."

Pistol Pete. Good choice. May I share a little story to go along with Tightloops "putzing around" post above.

As a super new shooter I thought it would be a great idea if my shooting buddy and I went in on a timer. This conversation went on for a long time, he finally bought one, we practiced with it once.

The second time we went to practice with it the battery was dead and we had no spare. I said let's practice anyway. He, the one who resisted getting a timer for so long, said, " Without a timer? Why bother?"

Oh the irony.

Later on he got a timer on a deal for a press and cut me a nice deal on it.

BTW, the timer he bought was a MKIV from this site. Sweet.

The "echo problem" is the only thing I don't love about the CED timer. The pick-up is adjustable, but that doesn't really do the job. Set at a certain sensitivity, it picks up, like, three or four shots per every trigger pull. Set just a bit lower, it picks up nothing at all. Bummer. It's a great timer for outdoors. Unfortunately, I do almost all my practice indoors. The only timer I've personally found that works perfectly, vis-a-vis picking up only one shot per, is the little black PACT model. The pick-up is also adjustable, and I had to tweak it a bit to start, but after that it's flawless. No experience with the larger PACT.