Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clicking trigger on initial take-up pull...

WickedBag

I have an STI Eagle that I'm trying to upgrade with a C&S sear/hammer/disconnector kit and I have run into an issue I'm not quite sure how to fix. Here are the symptoms:

With the slide OFF of the gun, everything works smoothly and the initial trigger take-up is smooth, the break is clean, the reset is clean and the next trigger pull is clean.

With the slide ON the gun, the initial trigger pull has one or two "clicks" in it during the take-up. The break is clean, the reset is clean and the next trigger pull is clean. If I completely release the trigger and re-do the take-up, it clicks again.

If I slightly move the slide rearward(very small amount), the click goes away and the trigger take-up is just like when the slide is off the gun.

I believe the issue is disconnector related and may have to do with the curved cut-out in the bottom of the slide. I have tried both the C&S disconnector and the original factory STI disconnector. They both click, but the STI is not as bad.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help me diagnose the clicking problem?

Sounds like it might be a problem with the disconnect fit. Take the disconnect (oriented correctly and see if it fits easily in the groove in the bottom of the slide. You can get a scraper from Brownell's to smooth, widen, and/or deepen the groove.

Do the disconnect safety test found here > http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

Personally, I'm not good at fitting a disconnect; however, I love the C&S trigger pull kits. What I've done is set the C&S disconnect aside and simply use the original disconnect that was properly fitted to the gun.

In any event, go through all the safety checks.

Wickedbag, I have the exact same problem with my Eagle, although you have gone through the effort of additional trouble shooting. I got mine through Thunder Mountain who did a "free" trigger job. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Sounds like disconnector click, it is annoying to me also.

Did you try swapping back to your original disconnector?

Might try that.

You can polish your disconnector not changing it's dimension.

You can take a pocket screw driver and grind it to the width of your disconnector slot in your slide, cut a strip of 600 or finer W/D sandpaper (depending on how rough the channel is in your slide) to the width of your ground tip, wrap the sandpaper over the tip of the driver and SMOOTH the disco channel in the slide with a drop of oil and your tool.

Don't get in there and carve it out or anything radical just smooth and polish.

Check to see how much for and aft movement your disco has in its bore in the frame. If too much it can be corrected by staking the frame if you are brave enough. ;)

Try the top 2 first. Worked for me.

As always YMMV, Good Luck. :cheers: