Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

want2race441

want2race

I guess a slump was bound to happen. Been shooting this sport for less than 2 years and last month I hit a little speed bump. My mental game was in the toilet. I had more mental errors in one match than I had since I started. I started to look at specifics. What had caused a change, what was different.

I started reading one of Saul's books and realized that I had been doing a lot of things right. Many things in that book I had been doing already, regarding the mental aspects. That is, until recently. I realize now that I had been too complacent with my local match. I was taking myself too seriously and ended up putting stress on myself to do well/have fun. Then it hit me that those two things DO go together, when they are the other way around. If I have fun, I do well not the other way around. I had fun at the Pro/Am because I didn't put any stress on myself or preset any expectations. I just shot.

I'm a recreationalist. I'm competitive by nature, but know that my allotted time and money will limit my success in shooting. What IS, however, limitless is enjoyment.

Last month I had two terrible matches, one IDPA and one USPSA. I did a little thinking, a little reading, a little dry firing and today shot a good match. I had fun. Although I could have done better (faster/better hits) I didn't make any major mental errors that led to self destruction. I did do something mentioned in the book though. I was the first shooter, made my plan but quickly changed it to a more aggressive plan. Made ready. Beep. Shot my first plan. It went ok, but my old plan (the one shot for score) proved to be 2.5 seconds slower. After the match I shot the plan I "wanted" to shoot and proved that it was indeed faster. No real biggie but something I can work on for sure.

I know that shooting on the move is faster. I can, and do, shoot on the move. This was my first plan:

th_September07027.jpg

This one was fun too. Pretty basic but I put my SS magwell to good use.

th_September07021.jpg

• 1 month later...

"It" meaning the diary? Not much to say yet. I'm going back to shooting limited very soon. I really like shooting SS but I need to get back to Limited before the Pro-am. I can't remember the last time I shot my Limited gun. Ok, I can. The last time I shot it, it didn't run 100%. Didn't like a 12.5 pound spring and .402 lead bullets. That's been fixed.

"It" meaning the diary? Not much to say yet. I'm going back to shooting limited very soon. I really like shooting SS but I need to get back to Limited before the Pro-am. I can't remember the last time I shot my Limited gun. Ok, I can. The last time I shot it, it didn't run 100%. Didn't like a 12.5 pound spring and .402 lead bullets. That's been fixed.

LOL, yeah I'm going to do the same thing here soon. I've got about twice as many classifiers this year in SS as limited....I still would like to get 1.7% in SS before I go back though :D

• 5 months later...

Not much to report. Well, other than my first open classifier will post as an 89% and my Ltd percentage is up to 83%. Getting pretty close. My classifiers have been steadily rising ever since I quite caring about them. I care, but I shoot the classifier just like any other stage. I used to shoot them hail mary style. That doesn't work.

I built the open gun out of mostly spare parts. .40 caliber. Tube optic mounted very low. It's very easy to switch back and forth to Limited. I loaded up an Open specific load, 135gr over 7.4gr of Universal Clays. Should be good for 1275 fps and it works the comp MUCH better than my 180gr limited load that I was shooting. It's very fun to shoot.

Here are some pics of some under-appreciated work. Did the work for a coworker who never even looked at it before throwing into his holster, then into the tool box. Undercut and hand checkered front strap. Blended and hand checkered MS housing, also rounded the butt. Opened up mag opening. Straightened all the jacked up lines on the frame from poor machining. Trigger job. Flushed and countersunk the slide stop pin. Hand serrated the raised rib on the slide 30 LPI (it was rough cast, not even machined from Colt). Cleaned up the beavertail safety install. Tightened the slide on the frame (was incredibly loose). Cut front dovetail for FO front sight. Blasted and parked for a non glare, matte finish.

post-8536-1239997033_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1239997049_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1239997060_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1239997076_thumb.jpg

Edited by want2race

Nice looking open gun there. What comp is on it and where can I get 1? Does it work good, maybe not since you are getting a custom comp huh? Already have a barrel here I could use, need a comp for a bushing barrel.

I will be blasting the open gun at a classifier match in Ohio next weekend in preperation for the Open division at the IN state match and the ProAM.

A new, custom comp is in the works too.

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile since I've posted.

Pro-Am: 4th master, 8th overall in Limited. Had to shoot master since I had won A class the year prior. A bad mag early on set me a drift. Thought it was the extractor, made a change, gun ran worse, changed it back to get it to run, installed wrong firing pin (not an extended one), had light strikes, figured out I had a bad mag, threw magazine away, tried to salvage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH53IZWd8lM

Local match: Just having fun. I'm the second shooter shown, then the last two are me as well. The first couple are with the skinny gun, last one was limited (second run).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM9_9physCA

5th sunday match, SSvsProd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKHBslx540

Mostly pretty good, 1st stage excluded.

Circleville, OH montly match over labor day. This was supposed to be their big match but that got moved to coincide with the IPSC nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVj8EDwqAX4

Local match: BGSL in Wilmore. Single stack in the AM, Ltd in the PM. Had an FTE with the skinny gun, been a long time since I've had one of those. Lesson learned, K.I.S.S. My mag fell over when grabbing the gun during the classifier (Mini Mart). Not going to count.

In Limited, had a pretty good run. Hammer follow 3 times, weird. Can't get it to repeat dry, only happens with ammo. More on that later.

Classifier: Mini Mart. 4.81 seconds, down one. 100%. My first. That means I get a new card in the mail after the next update. Master class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvvoDhQvQw

The hammer follow may have been due to the disconnector. Sear was recently touched up and not worn. Sprung to 2.25lbs. I worked it tonight. Changed the disconnector to one with a larger diameter (at the top). Removed a strange line in the disconnector notch in the slide. It wasn't big, but combined with the old disconnector the trigger had a 'click' just after the take up. Now it's smooth, no click but I need to test it before the TN sectional.

On Caves II (all targets under cover), it showed that I'm not comfortable pushing the split times faster while moving. I played it safe and I should have pushed it harder after the first two partials. Unfortunately, that's something that can only be drilled with live fire.

On the flip side it is perfect example of the cadence drill we teach.

Last match before the USPSA update. TN Sectional. As much as I love SS, this reminded me why I love Limited division. Although I STILL forgot to reload a couple times...ugh.

The washing machine stage was probably my best. The rain stage (in the house) was by far the worst, with the slippery (wobbly) bridge as a close second. Shooting it dry turned out to be a HUGE advantage. Well DUH! We tried to mention it but it fell on deaf (wet) ears. That's how it goes sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRnwH6QmvQ

No penalties. No Mikes. 10 D's. Not happy with the D count, but I am happy I went penalty free all day. The last stage, I needed that make up shot over the car. My first shot skipped off the roof. I didn't know it at the time, I just knew I didn't like my first sight picture.

Last match before the USPSA update. TN Sectional. As much as I love SS, this reminded me why I love Limited division. Although I STILL forgot to reload a couple times...ugh.

The washing machine stage was probably my best. The rain stage (in the house) was by far the worst, with the slippery (wobbly) bridge as a close second. Shooting it dry turned out to be a HUGE advantage. Well DUH! We tried to mention it but it fell on deaf (wet) ears. That's how it goes sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRnwH6QmvQ

No penalties. No Mikes. 10 D's. Not happy with the D count, but I am happy I went penalty free all day. The last stage, I needed that make up shot over the car. My first shot skipped off the roof. I didn't know it at the time, I just knew I didn't like my first sight picture.

Last match for you sandbaggin in A class :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this on a thread in the 1911 side but feel it is better posted here.

Last week I decided to test out some different settings. One of which was going up 1.5# in the recoil spring to see if I could get what I wanted in slide speed. I noticed an increase in muzzle rise. I was tracking the front sight the whole time and had two called A's. The difference for me, in my gun, was that the front sight went higher between shots. I put the original spring back in to confirm and the gun was flatter which gave me better visibility. I've run as high as 18lbs and down to 12.5. I've tried GI guide rods and FLGR's. Angle cut and radiused FP stops. 17 and 19lbs main springs. What I've found for me is there is most definitely a sweet spot. The trouble is, that sweet spot changes as skill levels change. That's why I tinker.

(that was my original post)

And to continue...

In my quest for 5" performance from a 6" slide:

Before plunking down cash for a bushing barrel and wasting numerous hours on how to modify an EGW bushing to stay in a slide that will never see a standard spring plug (see pics), I decided to just remove more weight from the bull barrel.

What I'm left with is a 5" barrel (effective length) that fits in a 6 inch slide. My eyes do indeed need the extra sight radius, which is unfortunate because I really like way 5 inch guns feel and shoot.

Anyway, more testing to follow. Need to weigh the barrel and bench rest the pistol.

post-8536-1256446189_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1256446197_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Wow, it's been a long time since my last post. The Battle in the Bluegrass has come and gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WuTZC7OYQ

Area 6 is coming up.

Getting geared up for the match, did some practice with my 1911 today. Single stack gear is a Comptac holster and Safariland 771 mag pouches. I started out with some good, solid 1.1 second draws at 10 yards. Good hits, really focusing on A zone type hits. Started to drop into the .8's and when I hit an .80 I decided to see just what I could do. Mostly index aiming (flash front sight) at 7 yards but I was getting good hits with .78 and .75 second draws. I've never hit 7's before. The best part is, when I slowed back down to REALLY see the sights I was still in the mid to high .9's. That was cool. I tried to slow it down further for a perfect sight picture and was still under my normal match draw of 1.2. Good training today.

Next up was some reload drills. I was hitting 1.1 and 1.2 reloads while warming up and going for it at match pace put me in the .92 shot to shot range. For fun I wanted to see how quickly I could draw and reload the 4 mags on my belt. From the draw, 5 shots, 4 reloads my best time was 5.82. For single stack it's important to practice reloads all the way to the 3rd and 4th mag pouches. This was a fun drill.

Edited by want2race

• 1 year later...

After actions review of the Indiana state match. First off, great stages. I really enjoy the IN matches, one reason is the themes. The stages were a great mix of speed and accuracy. “Know when to go, know when to whoa.” I didn’t shoot error free but I minimized the damage when something unexpected happened. My gun failed to lock completely closed several times. Not sure if it was ammo related, gun not liking mixed brass or what. That’s an easy thing to fix though and it will be taken care of. I hadn’t shot my 2011 for about a year prior to this match. In fact the last major I shot with it was the IN match last year.

Here’s the breakdown by stage: Limited 10 Division

Stage 7. I decided to take two paper and two poppers from the first port. In hind sight, I could have left the left popper until the final door position and shot to slide lock twice on the way to the second port. I chose a safer plan. It was our first stage and my finger wasn’t quite up to speed yet. Other than that the stage went pretty well. 146pts in 26.70 would have put me 3rd in Limited div.

Stage 8. Point stage. Everyone was hosing it. 10 round mags so I shot it 10, 4, 10, 8. Little hesitation at the last low port. 1C and 1D (middle target in the cave) in 15.99.

Stage 9. Had a gun issue on my second target and one make up shot during a reload. This one didn’t make the video. I shot the 5 targets on the right, reloaded, close two at my feet and closest left 3. Reloaded to final two on the left. Reloaded on the way to activate the swingers. I was 2 seconds off the pace from where I should have been due to the earlier gun issue. 31A and 1C in 21.75.

Stage 10. Probably my best stage. Primary plan was to shoot the star and 3 paper to slide lock. Finish on far right two targets. Had a makeup on the star so I went to my back up plan. 151pts in 20.74.

Stage 11. Since I had to stop and set up for the long paper shots through the port, I decided to take the two poppers from there as well. Saved me the long transition back to them from the final port position. I had another failure to close and that cost me a couple seconds. I dropped more points on this stage than any other. Also did an unplanned reload after the shakey bridge. 143pts in 23.13.

Stage 1. LOL. 2011’s don’t close from slide lock like Glocks. Forgot to add into my plan that the slide would be locked back after the first 5 targets. Also, storing the mag in the magpouch was TOTALLY unnecessary since there were more barrels down range to put mags on. Between both mental errors I was about 5 seconds off the pace. I did at least go 28/4 for 156pts.

Stage 2. Time lost was on the right plate. Didn’t give it enough attention after the wide open paper targets. Good learning point. 4D, 1D and 1P in 21.06.

Stage 3. Shot my own plan. Different from AMU’s Demac and was a second off his pace (he shot Prod). Picked up my only Mike of the match here, on a simple target. 136pts in 17.57

Stage 4. 3.93 down 4.

Stage 5. Took the safer of the two plans. Ended up waiting on the max trap. 4.43 down 2. Lost .5 second waiting. 2nd to the last stage and I didn’t want to take the chance to pick up a mike/NS.

Stage 6. Also shot this one different than everybody else I watched. Since I had to reload twice, I wanted to reload while squatting. Worked perfectly. The high port was closer than the outside targets so I I shot them first. I was able to get settled on them quicker and they were closer. Made sense to me. 24A in 11.36.

Long winded, but hopefully when I revisit this post later I will have fixed the issues I’ve pointed out.

Key points: Know in the stage plan if the gun will be slide lock. Pay attention to fault lines. Chamber check ammo if brass is questionable.

To keep my RD up to date, 2010 and 2011 results:

2010 Ohio Buckeye Challenge; Limited 10 div. winner (HOA)

2010 KY Battle in the Bluegrass; Single Stack div. winner (HOA)

2010 Area 6 Championship; Single Stack div. 1st Master

2010 USSA Pro-Am Championship; Limited AM Champion (HOA)

2010 IN State Championship; Limited div. 2nd Master

2011 Ohio State Championship; Single Stack div. winner (HOA)

2011 KY Battle in the Bluegrass; Production div. winner (HOA)

2011 KY State Multi-gun Championship; Tac-Optics div. 7th

2011 Alabama Section Championship; Production div. 2nd Master

2011 Indiana Section Championship; Limited 10 div. winner (HOA)

I'm holding to my word to shoot SS at TN, then I'm giving 'little skinny' a break for while to shoot LTD.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a pretty good SS classifier on sunday. Raw Deal, 5.71 down 3 for a 9.98HF, 100% on the calc. Now to do that 3 more times to get over the 95% hump.

Update to add TN state:

2011 Ohio State Championship; Single Stack div. winner (HOA)

2011 KY Battle in the Bluegrass; Production div. winner (HOA)

2011 KY State Multi-gun Championship; Tac-Optics div. 7th

2011 Alabama Section Championship; Production div. 2nd Master

2011 Indiana Section Championship; Limited 10 div. winner (HOA)

2011 Tennessee State Championship; Single Stack div. winner (HOA)

2010 Ohio Buckeye Challenge; Limited 10 div. winner (HOA)

2010 KY Battle in the Bluegrass; Single Stack div. winner (HOA)

2010 Area 6 Championship; Single Stack div. 1st Master

2010 USSA Pro-Am Championship; Limited AM Champion (HOA)

2010 IN State Championship; Limited div. 2nd Master

Edited by want2race