Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun for Steel

rider82

I am in the process of trying to figure out what type of open gun to buy. I have made up my mind that I want to shoot 9mm since I can get a good supply of free brass. My primary purpose is to shoot steel. Should I consider the STI Steelmaster, or should I look more to the Trubore 9mm(major) and attempt to tune it to 9mm minor(light recoilmaster?). I guess I am looking for the best of both worlds, so if I ever get the impulse to try IPSC the gun will be capable of making major. A second question would be resale, would there be any real difference between to two if I decided to sell.

The Steelmaster can shoot Major loads, but it's less optimal for that-- it's a great little steel gun. The Trubore is a bit less optimal for steel, but a bit better all-around and possibly a little easier to resell if you had to.

The Steel Master is basically the old Stinger that did not sell well for open shooting major PF. I have one that I rebarreled for steel it is short and quick. I don't shoot it much because I shoot open with a full size 9mm and the timing is really different with the short gun.

Hey Flex, yes, I shoot at Big Darby. They don't have any IPSC or steel match stuff right now. I don't know if they plan on it. It's a public range, and I think that scheduling can be an issue, as well as an inconvenience to the paying members, but that's only a guess on my part. They do have steel, and thats what I practice on. I have shot one steel match at PCSI this year. I forgot how much fun that was. I would like to see Big Darby have some steel match's, I know I would shoot them. Big Darby does not have official steel challenge type targets though, the round plates and large squares. I have never shot an IPSC match or qualifier, but I do have an Edge 40 cal. I guess part of my question dealt with getting a gun that capable of shooting major, as well as having reasonable resale. I guess I wanted the 9mm because I can get a decent supply of brass. Do you shoot with Flyin40 at PCSI?

• 2 months later...