Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 LPR Nationals

Sharyn

WOW this is just way to cool. I've already seen 4 people I shoot with. Are you going to show different stages with different squads? Sharyn if at all possiable can you catch up with squad 12 tomorrow and get them, there is a few of really good friends in that squad I would like to see. Thanks and keep it up.

Jeff

Edited by Sudden Death

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, Squad 15 is done for the day. We're going to grab some lunch, charge the battery some more then head back out to try and catch some of the Production and Limited Super Squads. I'll guess about an hour or so.

I may be able to catch some of squad 12 tomorrow... we'll see, no promises.

OK, we're back at the hotel... I'll try and catch some of the SSs in the morning, but we're gonna sleep in a bit too. ;)

After looking at some of the recorded footage, I totally see what you guys are saying about the brightness/camera stuff... I'll try and place something in the foreground tomorrow. Maybe half of someone's butt... :D

Thanks again, Sharyn.

Flex, et al... great! I've really just been trying to stay quiet and keep out of everyone's way... not distract the shooters. I thought you might be able to hear the ROs call the names and times/points/scores... but I can say the shooters name too. I like to work behind the camera though... I need to hire a commentator. :D

I got to watch the stage with the bridge. I could hear the RO there call out most of the hits. I don't know that I heard any times. Hearing which shooter was called out was tough (I only caught one name). I was able to recognize Shannon, Taran, and Blake...

If any of those guys would want to say a quick word about the stage after they were done shooting it...

You're welcome, guys. This really is a lot of fun. I wish there were 18 people with similar setups to capture all the stages and shooters. I can only do so much on my own. :(

I tried to get some of the guys to comment on their stage runs... they say they're camera shy... then pose for "butt shots" (ala Manny Bragg :P ) Also, like I said before, I'm sorta incognito right now. People generally don't know what I'm doing and I'm really trying not to interfere with their match by hounding them for interviews, etc. Just a personality thing for me, I guess. I'm on the shy side, believe it or not.

I'll try to announce names tomorrow while broadcasting... sometimes I just let the camera roll and get a little socializing in as well as regular video... Stage times too, but the points are more difficult. I'm more a techie than a commentator... ;)

You're welcome, guys. This really is a lot of fun. I wish there were 18 people with similar setups to capture all the stages and shooters. I can only do so much on my own. :(

I tried to get some of the guys to comment on their stage runs... they say they're camera shy... then pose for "butt shots" (ala Manny Bragg :P ) Also, like I said before, I'm sorta incognito right now. People generally don't know what I'm doing and I'm really trying not to interfere with their match by hounding them for interviews, etc. Just a personality thing for me, I guess. I'm on the shy side, believe it or not.

I'll try to announce names tomorrow while broadcasting... sometimes I just let the camera roll and get a little socializing in as well as regular video... Stage times too, but the points are more difficult. I'm more a techie than a commentator... ;)

They don't need to get in front of the camera, they can just sit behind it and introduce themselves and talk about how they did on the stage. We all know shooters love to talk about how well they did or didn't do. :)

It's funny I watched a few stages go through (had to go to bed eventually though) and one shooter shot a reasonable time I thought but lots of Charlies (this was on the circular stage) when it came to the bridge stage I thought to myself I wonder if the guy is going to shoot alot of charlies again - low and behold he did. :) Maybe we should offer some online coaching as they shoot. :P J/K

We hear the talking fine, and the if the RO calls the scores loud enough we hear the times and hits but it would be nice to hear which shooter is on the line, especially for those who have never shot in the US and don't know who's who.

I heard you (Sharyn) talking to the Shooting USA guy about what you were doing.

"There's even a guy watching from Australia" you said and the guy replied, "So they just saw me stick my face in front of the camera"

Yes, we did!

You also said "It was very cool" and yes it is.

I was very tired before i started to watch because I'd had a huge day with my family but here I was at midnight watching the USPSA Nationals live from across the world. Sure the footage may not be hi-def, and people might stand in front of the camera but it was so cool that I was watching until 2.15AM in the morning.

OK just a couple little hints or helpful advice to improve the experience.

1) Tell the people on the world wide web who the shooter is when they're about to start, you don't need to shout it out, just a quiet "OK guys this is Blake Miguez or whoever" because I've posted the streaming link around a few places and many people may not know who's who. I didn't but I enjoyed it anyway.

2) Before you pull the plug and move to another stage just say something "That's it for this stage guys, I'm moving to stage ?? now and we'll see you back in 10 mins or so." Sometime the screen would just go out and we'd be wondering if it dropped out or you were all finished.

3) If you can get a couple people to talk about how they shot and about the stage it would be great. Some guys would love to do it I'm sure. They don't need to be in front of the camera, like I said the audio is fantastic so we could even get someone to call the stage as another shooter shoots it.

4) Something that would be very cool is if you could have a wireless cam that you could carry up closer and switch on when the guys are about to shoot. I know I'm being picky now but how awesome would that be. We watch the wide view and then the view switches to up close and we watch an up close and personal view of the stage as it happens. Shooter finishes and it goes back to wide view. Maybe you can't do it this time but it's a cool idea to think about but more work on your part. You could charge for a service like that. :)

Seriously it is freaking awesome. Sharyn you're going to have to tell me how to set something up like this so I can stream stuff from Australia.

By the way, I love your accent.

When I referred to the footage being sponsored by Millenium Custom I was actually referring to your hat not your fella's shirt. It was just good timing when he stood in front of the camera. :)

Edited by blownhemi

It just goes to show what is possible with a little ingenuity... This is a great idea and one that clearly needs to be expanded. I like the idea of several cameras following the top squads and maybe a roving one to catch the not-so-top-squads.

Captions and commentary would be great too, but obviously it's tough to do by yourself when you are shooting the match as well, or trying to get mentally ready to shoot the next competition. I have never felt that our Nationals got the coverage that they deserve, either in magazines, TV or via the Internet. The latter is starting to change in the right direction with Sharyn's video work.

Spreading the word on the Internet is a great way of gathering information on the popularity of viewing it, and that could be used to convince Sports Networks of showing the events (perhaps just edited highlights).

Good job, Sharyn... Hope to see you at the Open event in a few days.

Thanks for the comments guys... I'll respond to them in more detail later.

Sorry about the "instant off". Tomorrow, I'm going to collect business cards and show them prior to shutting down... ;)

Cool, just remember this is supposed to be fun too. You're doing a great job. :bow:

It was great to see the Production and Limited super squads from yesterday on the recordings too.

Sharyn really needs to put up a sign or something because people say all kinds of things behind and beside the laptop without them realising that it's going straight out to the web.

For some reason when I click on the saved clips they don't show up in the window above. Do I need to be logged in to the website to see saved clips?

I was able to view all of them but one. Perhaps you happened to choose just that one....